Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 284 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Much better explanation LMom.

30 points doesn't seem like so much in the 0.001%. Thanks for the clarification. I don't have a table to know what scores give what percentile but that really makes sense considering 145 is considered 99.9%

Crisc
    Here you go
    http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/IQtable.aspx

There is also rarity part - 1 out of ... Take a deep breath before you look up 157 smile The thing is nobody can really tell above certain point. It's more for fun than anything else wink It does come handy in 130's though.

Last edited by LMom; 01/16/08 08:25 PM. Reason: add more info

LMom
    Thanks for the explanations. I always feel like such a dolt around these things!

Kriston
    W
    W
    Thank you everyone for this thread. Though I am finding it confusing with new scales. I though highest 0.2 percentiles was 152+ IQ but according to the link it is 144.

And another thread mentioned that a child didn't get into DYS with a 145. Was that because of old scales or their acceptance is a higher requirement?

Ren

Originally Posted by Dottie
    The test ceiling actually goes to 300 in some cases! Remember the GE ceiling is beyond high school. While I'm certainly not downplaying any reading abilities here, my point was also that I've met some of these kids whose reading skills truly blow me away. Those are the kids pulling the 200+ scores. They are incredibily gifted by anyone's standards, but it's still not statistically possible to top 180 or so, kwim? But they can't compare to my son's 99.9th score that's more "down to earth", even if we both have kids in that top 0.1%!

I agree. I am sure there are amazing kids. I've read about some of them and they do take my breath away with their reading abilities. I wanted to say that with the changes it probably takes a lot to achieve such a score. It's not just knowing how to read a little bit and being 4. KWIM?

Either way it would probably make much more sense if the test stopped at 4-5SD with scores 160+ or 175+. Oh perhaps they should use DYS kids as a testing sample and come up with some meaningful numbers. LOL.

LMom
    Z
    Z
    Dottie,
    I have been trying to get my hands on any data indicating that the WPPSI III scores tend to be inflated. Any ideas on where I might find it? I know you are very tuned into this information.
    Thanks

I'm in the middle of reading it, Dottie, and it is a good article. I got a kick out of this sentence though:

"Young children are notoriously variable in their response to unfamiliar situations and they are vulnerable to disorganization by...rampant hedonism."

Rampant hedonism? ROTFL! Aren't we all vulnerable to disorganization brought on by rampant hedonism? laugh

Pardon the interruption. I just had to share! Carry on!

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    "Young children are notoriously variable in their response to unfamiliar situations and they are vulnerable to disorganization by...rampant hedonism."
    Oh yes! At that age they would rather make a good pun than get a high score, yes?
    Smiles,
    grin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM