Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I have a couple of friends who home school and they also have their kids in 1 or 2 day tutorials where they take art, music, do science experiments, etc. There are also some tutorials here that also highly academic. This lets the mom have 1 to 2 days a week to do other stuff for themselves but still do most of the academic stuff with their kids with the homeschooling. Now you may be involved with something like this already, I don't know, but it does give some flexibility with homeschooling so I thought I'd mention it. smile

Hi,

We are very happy with the gifted school my DD is attending. I would for sure encourage you to give gifted schools a try.

K
    K
    Kriston - I think I'm a bit like you with advocacy. I could reasonably do a little advocacy - like for a more MG child (maybe DD3 will be this child - who knows?). But advocating to the point of multiple possible grade skips for a reasonable experience scares me on so many levels. Although, thanks again for this board because I feel like I've come a long way mentally since we started this journey!

I've heard from other homeschooling friends, that once you homeschool, it's hard to go back to someone else's agenda and curriculum. So I hope something works out so everyone in your family is happy! I hope the part time option at least is viable!

I think we are leaving DD3 at the 3 morning a week tiny, mixed age preschool she is at this year for Pre-K. She absolutely loves it and it is generally non-academic, but very open ended. I know there are a number of GT kids that have come out of there. And it's 2 blocks from our house!

Q
    Q
    Kriston,

Long article from this site: http://ceep.crc.uiuc.edu/poptopics/rankings.html

Haven't read it all yet, but figured I'd point it out.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for all the great help, everyone!

That's one LOOOOONG article, Questions! It has some good stuff in it, so I'm getting through it, but I wanted to stop and say thanks for the link!

Kim, home schooling is definitely addictive! The speed with which you cover whatever interests your child (and you!) combined with the laid-back schedule is so nice.

E&CMom: I'm part of a home school group that has "Wednesday School," but it's only for kids who are a good bit older than my DS6. I've asked about getting him in early, but I'm too new to make waves, especially over something that's not strictly necessary for him, and that might not even be right for his needs. (I even tried to bribe them with my teaching sometimes, since I used to teach college-level English...) Besides, I'd imagine that I'd have to stay in the room if my child were the youngun' of the group, and my having to stay every week would defeat the whole purpose of his joining the group!

Please, keep those thoughts coming! I love this group! smile

Kriston
    Kriston, the tutorials my friends are a part of are actually "schools" run by umbrella schools or at churches or some such where paid teachers teach the kids, not the parents taking turns teaching. Now these things are not cheap mind you, but my friends love that they get to get out a day or two a week and their kids get to do some things in groups, such as science experiments, etc. These are for kids of all ages too. There might be something in your area like this if you are interested. I agree, your having to hang around with your child all day would not do you any good!! smile

It's great your thinking about it this early. Our school is only accepting applications through the end of this month for next year so you're definitely on the ball with thinking about it now. Good luck with whatever you decide!!

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I've never heard of any such thing around here...and believe me, I've asked around! Bummer for me. But I'll keep my ears open. If it's out there where you are, maybe one will open around here!

Kriston
    Q
    Q
    It's already past the application deadline around here. We thought briefly about trying another private school, but decided DS is happy for the first time in public school, so he'll stay there and I'll continue to after-school him. Now I'm leaning the lingo!

Kriston, I found that article and many others of interest by clicking on resources on this page. Davidson has put together a great library of links and articles.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader