Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 226 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by Wei-I
    I wouldn't be overly constrained by finances nor would I be overly constrained about whether top boarding schools have enough HG and PG kids. They do. I would worry about whether your 14 year old kid can emotionally handle living away from home in an environment where they will not longer be the brightest fish in the sea. I saw lots of kids, particularly the 13 and 14 year olds, that just couldn't hack it.

That fits my experience as well. <points to self-- scholarship kid, boarding school in metro Boston>

The absolutely most difficult thing was realizing I not only wasn't flavor of the week anymore, but was, in fact, slightly behind everybody else. Not because I wasn't smart enough, but because I hadn't had access to the sheer number of experiences that my classmates had. Reading about Indonesia and living there for a year because your Daddy is with the State Department are two entirely different animals.

The second was that I had no clue how to study, though I couldn't have expressed it as such. I'd simply never had to.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Hi -
    Does anyone have any info around this school?

http://www.indiansprings.org/

I've heard that it's one of the best private b boarding school for girl and boy in the south but they only accept students like about 60 percent of their applicants.

Last edited by shantie; 01/20/11 08:12 AM.
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    thanks Shantie! How did you find us? Welcome!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    T
    T
    this is all great information when considering a school. i'm looking into a private boarding school for my child as well. hearing it from people that have gone through it really reassure me in making this decision. thanks!

S
    S
    My DD will be attending Indian Springs as an incoming 10th grader fall of 2011. We looked at a lot of boarding schools this year, including those more famous names and found ISS to be best fit to her personality, desire for small classes and good rapport with teachers, high academics, and flexible administration. They are looking at having her take Japanese at the college level since not offered there, for example. They also have merit scholarships - check out the Malone Foundation for info on what they provide to select schools (ISS is one the recipients). Any questions, feel free to ask - this have been a long and thought-provoking journey!

B
    B
    I can't answer your question but have a related one. I went to public school and then a selective college, and I think I am knowledgable about colleges but know little about private schools. Are there books people recommend to learn about selective private schools?

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM