Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    You put my thoughts into intelligible words, kimck, thanks!

Originally Posted by acs
    I was wondering about some small detail of parenting a toddler and my mother said very cheerfully, "Well, I've tried it both ways and what I remember was that no matter what I did it was wrong!" She is not a pessimist and her kids all turned out fine.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm not all the way caught up on this thread, but I loved this story so much and thought it was so true, that I had to interrupt my reading and comment...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I want to meet your mom! She's brilliant. I think I have a mom-crush on her. laugh

Kriston
    Originally Posted by bianc850a
    If you try to be the perfect parent and always make the perfect decisions you only teach them that THEY need to be perfect (which is obviously an unreasonable standard).
    So we make mistakes, we get up and try another way.
    Our kids cannot ask for more than our best.

These statments and acs's mom's comment sum up my parenting philosophy in a nutshell.

Kriston
    Originally Posted by acs
    I do think some of what I do here is not so much about finding the right thing for DS. Much of it, actually, is about communing with people who understand the experience of raising a kid like mine. Community. I also find that reading people's stories and ideas helps me understand myself better. So maybe it was DS's needs that got me here, I don't think that the is the main reason I stay. But I may use him as an excuse.

This is definitely true of me. I came here looking for answers about my child and his situation and have ended up staying because I have found people that have helped me grow personally and learn things about myself as well as about my child. And I even made someone else feel a little better!!!! (I'll have to say "hi" to my sister for ya acs!) smile

It's great getting all the different points of view and differing thoughts. I feel like my brain stagnates so much of the time with the mundane day to day routines. But I feel like my brain gets stimulated here and I like that. So maybe I have found a Golden Ticket here!! LOL!!!! grin

Originally Posted by incogneato
    BUT, (please no one say I have a big but) sometimes I feel like I spend a lot of my time spinning my wheels, exhausting options that aren't a good fit.

By Golden Ticket syndrome, I mean, sometimes I feel like Verucka(sp?) Salt's dad -in the Johnny Depp version of Wonka- having all those people digging through millions of boxes of to find the bar with the golden ticket. And didn't she end up turning into a blueberry, anyway?!?!?!?!?

I

Hi Incog,
    I think that the work of figuring our kids out, and the work of making actual changes to help met their special needs is big strong work. I've never faced a challenge of this magnitude in my life, so even though I've overcome my "smart=easy" confusion to a great degree, there are still a few lingering cobwebs that keep me from seeing exactly how big a job this is, at the present time.

So I get impatient with the wheel-spinning, and 'trial and error' approach, and worn out by my OverExcitable reactions to each of the above. But I suspect that if any of us had been raised with big-enough challenges on a regular basis, and the scaffolded support to overcome them, then we would feel exhilarated by the challenge, instead of exhausted. Aren't we always wringing our hands that our kids don't know how to bear down and keep plugging when things get the hardest? Is it just me, or isn't this what we mean when we say we want them to learn how to learn?

Example: I sat in meetings about "what to do with poor DS" for 3 years at school 1, and was denied even subject acceleration. At school 2 the full grade skip went through in 10 days. I feel that every failed attempt at school 1, helped build the conditions for the success at school 2. Plus, Luck and Prayer, and many many things outside of my control.

So my guess is that things are going just as they should be, and that the feelings are lagging a bit behind the actual progress being made. The feeling, and the complaining, are part of the process. Have you noticed all the "Yippee!" Responses I've been posting lately? As a group at least, there is quite an amazing forward movement going on, right now. So complain away, be dissapointed and angry. Because you are so right that in the big picture, this isn't the way things should be! For the Grandchildren!

((Hee Hee - Dottie, is there anyway we can challenge the YSP email list to a friendly competition over %advocacy success? I think we'd hold our own pretty well, don't you? I'd let you be the number cruncher and judge.))

As an aside, you have us, digging through the millions of possible ideas and suggestions to find the bar with the Golden Ticket. And you don't have to pay us minimum wage like that factory did.

We do it for the amazing pay off of actually being of use to each other. What a thrill to be able to use our gifts for good! Every child deserves to be 'thought about well.' And we here know things that make that possible for this little segment of children. Being able to use what we have learned is so gratifing and such a relief to me.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline

POWERFUL

If I ever need to put my kids in school, I like to think that I will be a better advocate for having watched others pave the way. I look back at what oldest DS had in school and I cringe at how pleased I was with the slightest attempt at accommodation. He needed so much more!

Thanks to all for sharing your stories. They really do help us all to see the possibilities.

:)That is so nice to say Lorel! Thanks!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM