Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 278 guests, and 28 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    sandra #2595 05/04/07 09:24 AM
    Sandra,
    I can answer your questions pertaining to suzuki violin - I have been involved for more than 8 years now. My son who is now 12, started when he was about 3.5. My daughter, who is almost 10, got her first violin for her third birthday (I could not afford for her to play on mine :-)but we did not start formal lessons till she was close to 4 years old. It is a very time consuming activity and quite expensive. Right now I am looking into purchasing a full size for my 12 year old and I will probably have to spend $5,000 to $7,000, at the very least, plus another thousand for a bow and case. It's like he is getting a car at 12 :-)
    Ania

sandra #2596 05/04/07 09:34 AM
    Sandra,
    Good luck with the new school! I've heard of Kumon Centers for afterschool - is this related?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #2601 05/04/07 02:48 PM
    S
    S
    Thanks Trinity.
    The reason I choose this for now is Kumon accept children not by their age group, but by their level of knowledge. They have a placement test and they will put the child in appropriate level and work with the child one on one.
    Yes.. it is like after school program for the kids. I spoke to the instructor and they gave him a placement test.. Infact they have never have a child this young.. the youngest they have is 4.
    My son is very happy at his first day at school.

Ania #2602 05/04/07 02:51 PM
    S
    S
    I am quite prepare for that. I have a cousin who went through the suzuki program and now he is pro violin and pianist. I am aware of the expenses too.. I told my husband to start saving for his music lesson expenses :))

sandra #2605 05/05/07 05:34 AM
    Sandra -
    Yippee!
    Go Sandra, Go Sandra!

Trin

Grinity #2616 05/14/07 09:16 AM
    Hi All, first time posting here. Been reading for a while and it's been wonderful to read about folks with similar issues makes me feel like I am not the only one out there! Living in a small town is tough when you have a toddler that is different!

I have a 3 year old son who has been keep us on our toes since he is 6 months old. Just read Ruf's book and she sure answered a lot of questions for me! My husband and I have been dealing with a new issue lately that really has me worried and I wondered if anyone else has dealt with this type of thing with their toddler or young one.. We have not had our son in school up until now just because I have had the opportunity to stay home with him and he has been a voracious learner. At three, he is drawing full scale people, skip counting by 2, 4, 3, 5 and 10's. writing his alphabet in two languages, and has so many obsessions I couldn't even begin to write about them. :-)

About 3 weeks ago, we enrolled him in a Spanish immersion program (preschool) 2 days a week to provide him with a new challenge. As most three year olds he also has been challenging us lately with independence type behavior and so we've been arguing with him more than usual lately. Anyway, he started a new behavior that has me quite concerned and when I brought it to the attention of our pediatrician he thought nothing of it & said to just leave it alone. Wondered if you had come across this type of thing with your children and had some advice. He has started shoulder shrugging and deep belly breathing when he is uncomfortable or nervous and it has gotten progressively worse over the last few weeks. To the point where it disrupts everything he does. I don't know if it's in response to a new school, our recent arguments over his behavior issues lately or something completely unrelated but it worries me that a 3 year old could have such a pronounced "nervous tic" - he is a very sensitive child to begin with and it worries me that this is something that will become habit for him and will be hard to lose... Is this a common trait for a sensitive kid - has anyone else seen this type of behavior. Any advice?

thanks for your time!!
    Traci

Truckee_Mom #2626 05/15/07 02:07 PM
    hi Traci,

Welcome. You are not alone.

Check out this link, and see if it helps -
    http://www.sengifted.org/articles_social/Lind_OverexcitabilityAndTheGifted.shtml

Also journal the "independence type behavior, your responce, and his responce." You may be able to give him more meaningful work to do in his world, and more independence is some ways.

Also, talk to his preschool. When is the summer break? If he is with agemates, it may be very disturbing to him.

Tell us more...
    Best Wishes,
    Trinity

sandra #2642 05/21/07 04:44 PM
    L
    L
    Anne and Trinity,
    Thank you so much for your reassurance and suggestions. Very, very helpful. Trinity, especially your points about who would know better whether my child was gifted or not - hit me like a ton of bricks! Very right on. I just started reading the out of sync child. And the link you recently posted for someone else about social/emotional issues was great!
    Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I really feel like I have a good idea where to go from here!
    Leah

leah #2646 05/22/07 10:25 AM
    thanks for the thanks Leah!
    Post again if you ever need an ear.
    FWIW - on of my "pet" landmarks for gifteness in preschoolers is that their Moms have stopped talking about their development! So for me, if you have to come here to be taken seriously, that alone suggests that your child is gifted.

Golly I re-read my post, and it's all true, but it seems fantasticly strange to me - as if it couldn't possibly have happened. I keep thinking that someday I'll get over it and move on, but it sure doesn't seem that way....((shrug))

((hugs))
    Trinity

Grinity #2658 05/25/07 12:47 PM
    W
    W
    We had a bad experience with Suzuki method and Mite. It was really a bad teacher, not the method. Our Rite, of course, took off in Suzuki and was Mr. Star of the recital when he was 6. He didn't like violin and we let him quit right after that, though.

Mite was 4 when he start. He really struggled with his fingers. Now, of course, we know why, but back then we just thought he didn't get it. HIs teacher was horrendous. She would scold him and scold him and tell him, "I already showed you this. You need to pay attention. You need to concentrate." etc. He felt so badly after his lessons that we only did 5 and we quit. To this day, he won't try violin.

Knowing now how severe the disability is, especially in his left hand, I wish I could go back to that teacher and give her a verbal lashing.

Come to think of it, his piano teacher says the same things and he knows about Mite's disabilities. hmmmmmmmmmm. Well, we're off for the summer with that guy and plan on landing somewhere else in the fall.

I don't understand people who insist that a child is not disabled, but would rather label them as lazy and careless.

Willa Gayle
    Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs