Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Isa
    Only, to help you see things more clearly imagine that you are someone else and that you have to advice Grinity what to do concerning her son.

Ok Isa, I went back are re-read. Here's what I found out.

Dear Grinity,
    You sound tired of fighting, and tired of shielding, and propping up your fledgling. I'll bet that you love having your boy at a school that 'gets' how bright he really is, and is willing to take some responsibility for 'thinking well about him.' Of course you feel like you can't face going back to the 'what's wrong with him?' that was your old feedback from the district. I'm quite sure that you can face it, and suspect that it will not be the same. "One can't put one's foot in the same river twice." You know that his private school is drooling over his future test scores, and you feel this gives you some sort of power. Don't settle for the feeling of power, go for the reality of the power of doing the right thing. You know that the public school has nothing to gain by keeping him around, except whatever satisfaction their sense of integrity gives them for a job well done, which will vary.

But look at it this way. Your DS knows all of this on some level. He's willing to step forward and see what there is to learn. He is motivated to be accepted socially, and no matter what the response to him, he will certianly learn much in the process. Maybe this is his next challenge that he is setting up for himself? If he does this 'crazy' thing, and needs help, you will know or find out how to help him the best you can. And it will be enough. Maybe life is like Math, you can't learn how to go slowly and carefully unless you are working at your challenge level.

Anyway, I'm sorry that this is going to look like an weird choice, or worse, that you'll look cheap. I know that you really don't want to face the inevitable questions, but I know someone who is great at spin who can help you develop an 'elevator speech' for those awkard social moments. People are only trying to make contact. Your DS is already planning to use, "It was too expensive."

Now, how are you going to explain all this to dear, conventially-boned DH?

Hee Hee, that was fun!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for the advice LMom, see how I wove it in? Very helpful!

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Grinity,
    Thanks for the advice. I did have a thought for dear DH. How does this sound?

"He really really wants to go to the new school. Do you really really want to get into a power struggle over this with him?"

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

K
    K
    Ha! That was great fun to read too.

And the last line about DH definitely desrcibes the DH at this house too! I got him to mention homeschooling as an option this week without choking. Baby steps!

Love it! It seems like a very good exercise for clarification.

Heaven knows we all give good advice to others here; maybe, as Grinity shows, we need to be giving good advice to ourselves!

laugh

Kriston
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM