Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    J
    J
    My Son LOVES the Franny K. Stein Series. They are chapter books and are leveled at ages 7-10. They also happen to have pictures on every page! My son also enjoys pictures and didn't really enjoy chapter books very much because of lack of pictures. (i didn't realize this until I got the Franny books). He reads these books better than the other chapter books he was reading that were at a lower level. He is five and also reads them to my 4 year old who also loves to hear his brother read them.

Jenafur #68612 02/10/10 06:42 PM
    I
    I
    Magic School Bus books were around before the TV show. My D2 loved them when she was on the cusp of reading chapter books. Although she really accelerated rapidly. Went from books with a lot of pictures (Magic School Bus, Frog & Toad) to Lord of the Rings in about a year... I wouldn't worry too much if I were you smile Just keep visiting the library, she will find her way. And also keep reading aloud. I still read aloud to D2 even though she is 14 years old (just finished Dune, and we are on to Sense and Sensibility now).

intparent #68615 02/10/10 07:13 PM
    N
    no5no5 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Aw, you guys are awesome. Thanks for all the tips. smile

Jenafur #68616 02/10/10 07:24 PM

When DD6 was reading chapter books she liked, junie b jones (ugg) and Ivy & Bean, the magic kitten series, the magic puppy series, the magic ballet shoes, all the disney fairy books, she's a girly girl, she also went though many of the American Girl books, and loves these, I liked them because there's a bit of history to be learned and their wholesome. She really loves the self help type ones or the ones that have information to share. hope the helps smile

no5no5 #68619 02/10/10 07:25 PM
    O
    O
    You might also try some drawing or a leapster in the car. I reccomend ed emberly books for drawing. He has a web site with lots of drawings and projects. magnetic activites like tanagrams are fun too.

onthegomom #68625 02/10/10 07:43 PM
    How about the "Pony Crazed Princess" series or the "Weather Fairies" series or the "Jewel Fairies" series. Also, the "Clementine" series is great, as is the "Just Grace" series and the "Ivy and Bean" series. "Violet Bing" is good, too. They have a "Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew" series and a "Nancy Drew Notebook" series. And, I second the American Girl Books recommendation - each book is fiction with a non-fiction section and they all have beautiful illustrations.

Last edited by mnmom23; 02/10/10 07:44 PM.

She thought she could, so she did.
    mnmom23 #68628 02/10/10 07:55 PM
    I
    I
    Oh, my gosh, yes. The Jewel Fairy books. D2 was addicted. Even spent her own money on them. And Junie B Jones (agree with the ugh!), but she loved them. The Boxcar Children (the first one) is a book without pictures, but with a fairly simple story that might catch your D's attention. D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths was another favorite at that level. How about Catswings, by Ursula Le Guin. And I don't know any early reader who is not taken with the My Father's Dragon series by Ruth Stiles Gannett.

Last edited by intparent; 02/10/10 07:56 PM.
    intparent #68630 02/10/10 08:19 PM
    You are lucky to have a reader who likes to read! Our DS6 was always a sneaky reader, and it's rare that he wants to read to us or for long by himself. He has tested very high with his reading skills, but he's always preferred us reading to him. I have caught him reading Geronimo Stilton chapter books. These are fun chapter books with lots of pictures and different fonts. He also likes the DK readers, which have several levels and topics of interest (DS likes Star Wars).

As an aside, he told me a couple of weeks ago that he hates reading aloud, since it takes too long. He prefers to read silently to himself.

C
    C
    Thanks for all the new book ideas smile DS5 won't read chapter books but I keep looking for that one that catches his interest enough to get him to read it.
    We do stock up on higher lvl picture books as well as interesting non-fiction - preferably space, dinosaurs, and the human body (especially blood right now, lol).
    He loves to listen to Young Cam Jansen, Bones (same author), Stink, Flat Stanley, Dinosaur Cove, Magic School Bus (chapter books), etc.
    He'll only read books with pictures so I think to ease him into it we will have him read 1 chapter each day of a book and then talk about what he read.
    We're reading the Happy Hollisters to both kids at bedtime and they do seem to enjoy it (I wanted a longer book to see if DD could sit through and follow 1 chapter a night).

CourtneyB #68644 02/11/10 05:37 AM
    I second the recommendations for Catwings, Magic Schoolbus, and Cam Jansen. My girls also enjoyed Cobble Street Cousins at age 3/4, and Pony Pals. Of course this is irrelevant if she reads easily in small bites, but can't process whole pages.

I suspect it may be that large blocks of text make tracking difficult for your dd. This can change as she grows, or she may benefit from vision therapy.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM