Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    bbq797 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum--finally a place where I might be able to get some feedback!

Here's the situation: I live on Long Island NY, the cut off date for my district is 12/1 and my son's bday is 12/13. We're considering trying to get him enrolled in early entrance to kindergarten for this Sept. Otherwise, he'd half to wait until next year.

We did have him tested and sure enough his IQ score is 152; he can read, do math etc. (same as most of your kids!)

So far, I've spoken to everyone (elementary principal, school board president etc.) in the district and have been told it's not likely to happen. I am currently waiting for a call back from the superintendent (will call again on Monday).

If he is not allowed early entrance, the only alternative is a private school that costs over $12,000 (not too many choices for him around here), or we wait until the following Sept.

I hear both sides that if he waits 2 more years, he'll be fine (he'll be the oldest, more mature, more time to develop etc.); the principal assured me that they would differentiate instruction etc. She even said that if we have to wait, to call her when we're ready, remind her of our conversation and she would find the most appropriate teacher/class for him.

We're just worried that he might be really bored (only half day as of now) if he waits. But he will also be the youngest, not as mature (maybe) if we send him early.

So, I guess my question is--should we wait? Maybe everyone is right, that he'll be fine. Or will it be a disaster (boredom etc.)

Is it worth spending over $12,000 (which we don't have) to send him early to kindergarten? (he would go in Sept., and then 1st grade next yr.)

Would appreciate any feedback at all!
    Thanks!!!

C
    C
    If you did the private k, would he be able to enter public 1st grade the following year? I have heard some people on this board having trouble with that.

(Do you pay to go to the same school early? Or, are you talking about 2 different schools?)

Does he go to preschool now? Does he like it? How's the social stuff going? Dexterity okay?

Chrys

Warning: sleep deprived
    B
    bbq797 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    I'm tempted to tell you that if your school district thinks those 12 days matter so much to a kid with an over 150, you're going to have a long, long 12 years.

LOL!! Yikes! I think that's sooo true!

If he doesn't go to K next yr. he will be in preschool (where he is very happy). So, it's not the preschool that's my concern, it's waiting the two more years. I just hope that he's not too bored etc. I skim the forums and see how some say that it's unbearable for some of their kids that their so bored etc.

I'd save it for CTY camps, THINK, music lessons, chess coaches, sports camps, etc.

That's exactly what my husband says!

B
    bbq797 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks for the responses--

the private school would only be for kindergarten, then to first grade the following yr (district said this could be done)

socially, I think he's fine--gravitates to older kids anyway. BUT, there is still some maturity issues (basically, he acts like a four yr old boy at times--in other words, a big goof ball! But over the next several months, this may no longer be an issue.

His dexterity (fine motor skills) not so great; it was recommended to get him assessed to see if he qualifies for OT through the school district (not sure how bad it is either.)

Would the public school allow him to enter the 1st grade in 2011 even if he didn't attend K next year?

As far as I know K isn't mandatory in NY. How about finding a private school where he could attend a half day K? That way you could be able to lower the tuition. We sent our older one to half day K in Montessori even though most of the public schools around us have a full day K. I am glad we did. I don't think he would have been able to make it through a full day K.

I hope you plan on applying to Davidson once your son turns 5.

LMom
    Since a lot of the school authorities push K as preparation to learning how to stand in line, raise your hand to talk, eat cafeteria food, use public restrooms, put on his own coat, shoes, etc; I wonder if they'd consider entering K at the beginning of the 2nd semester for the late birthdates? That way, the kid could get the skip, the school would see the child is ready for 1st, and you'd get an extra few months at home with your child.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by gratified3
    ...if your school district thinks those 12 days matter so much to a kid with an over 150 IQ, you're going to have a long, long 12 years.
    Nothing else I can add here... except to copy & paste G3's very pithy comment!

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    K
    K
    That is a *BIG* sum of money for kindergarten. If he's happy and learning at home, I would stick with it and cross your bridges as you get to them. You're going to run into problems in the future no matter what you choose! Maybe get him into some open ended enrichment. Music lessons before kindergarten worked VERY well for us, but there are other options too. Another thing my kids learned through music lessons is classroom skills - working with a teacher, learning things incrementally, etc. Skills that might come in handy for a grade skip.

We looked at some high end private schools locally at that price point and up. I kind of felt, for that kind of money it should be an almost flawless solution. Your child isn't likely to learn anything there anyway unless it geared for PG students. All that being said, we are now homeschooling, which is working very well for us. But certainly isn't for everyone.

Good luck!

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    Originally Posted by gratified3
    ...if your school district thinks those 12 days matter so much to a kid with an over 150 IQ, you're going to have a long, long 12 years.
    Nothing else I can add here... except to copy & paste G3's very pithy comment!

Isn't that the truth. crazy

Our DD8 was "early-entranced" to K with a birthday 9 days past the cutoff. It was good for that year, but she was still academically ahead in almost everything and so we followed that up with subject acceleration in 2nd grade and then a full grade skip into 4th. So, the early entrance was the right way to go for us but wasn't enough.

With our DS6, we knew he was ready for K last year (and really the year before that) but we didn't think they'd consider early entrance for a boy with a b-date almost 3 months after the cutoff. So, we kept him in the preschool that he enjoyed three mornings a week. But, as the fall approached we were more and more certain that he should not be in K. So we talked to the school, he was tested, and then subsequently skipped K. It was a great move for him. He is still years ahead academically but is in all other ways a 1st grader.

I would see if the principal of the public school would consider letting your DS sit in on a K class for an hour or two now to see how it goes. Obviously, he'd be with kids a year older than him, but it would be a good way to observe how easily he separates from you, how well he interacts with the other children, whether he will get involved in the activities in the room, etc. If he fits in well, it might convince the principal that your DS would be fine in K next year, especially if the K teacher said nice things.

Also, I would ask the principal in what ways could he be placed in the right learning situation if he were to wait to go to K year after next. Would he be talking enrichment, subject acceleration, a skip to 1st? I'd try to nail it down a bit.

Many of us here have been in the same situation, so I hope we can help!

She thought she could, so she did.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...