Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    The counselor who really is our Student Assistance Counselor not a Guidance Counselor didn't comment much about the teacher's expectations. She was under the impression that DD's grades were lower than what they were so she was surprised when I started telling her actual grades. And, she basically regurgitated what we were told in the Fall. We have a meeting with the Superintendent next week to discuss educational options for the rest of the year and to look ahead to next year. And, of course we still haven't ruled out homeschooling until she reaches high school. She did say that if the teachers want 100 % on her work for a month she was going to give it to them and then at the end of the month she could ask them how they were going to keep their end of the bargain.

Maria

Good luck Maria -
    I'm guessing that the 'Student Assistance Counselor' is in charge of 'social and emotional needs' - if so, get her to look at the teachers gradebook and tell you if she thinks that this is an emotionally healthy situation for you DD to be in - seriously!

As for your DD trying to go to 100% that can backfire in a major way. Let us know how the meeting goes with the principle, but I would work on the SA Counselor to co-write a letter to the principle letting her know all about this and DD's reaction and SAC's opinion.

Grins,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    That is so stupid. The teachers would be well within their rights to say she should master 100% of the skills before moving to a higher level, but that's completely different from getting 100% of the questions right 100% of the time. Only a computer can do that - people make mistakes, no matter how well they know the material.

I like your daughter's response for its spirit, but it might not be healthiest in the long run - trying to be perfect usually ends up driving one mad.

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Well we had our meeting but were told that DD would not be able to do anything accelerated until she finished her "normal" class work. There is apparently no room for negotiation here as we have tried to explain that she is bored with the routine work. If given the opportunity to test out of it, I am fairly confident that DD could. Nevertheless, we plan to meet with the teacher as soon as the accelerated program is running to set clear and reasonable expectations for DD. I don't think that this teacher has any idea how fast DD will move through this program if she is allowed access to it. DD loves working independently and this may be what keeps her content until we can figure out what to do for her 7th grade year.

Maria

It sounds like your daughter is being allowed to move at her own pace which should be somewhat of a relief. it sounds like you will be involved to shape the program when it is set up and that your dd sees this as a worthy challenge. with a bit of luck you may find this alll works out. best wishes grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    Oh if it were that easy. Each time we think that we have made progress we find out otherwise. Just received email today that the program DD was going to begin won't be ready for another 2-3 weeks. I haven't even told her, yet. Two to three weeks will put us into ISAT week which will provide another excuse. So, I seriously doubt that we will see this program at all.

Maria

B
    B
    Truly, I would seriously consider making lawyer noises. Not loudly, but maybe something to the effect of, "I'm sure you are interested in making every accommodation the school is legally obliged to provide, of course, and I have no doubt that you will attempt in good faith to meet the reasonable needs of students with special needs. I'm sure you obviously don't intend to establish one set of criteria for one kind of student and a different set of criteria for another kind, because of course that would be...problematic, you know, so I'm looking forward very much to arriving at a mutually satisfying solution."

What you're talking about, of course, is absolutely absurd. In order to pass from one class to another at every single school at which I've ever taught, students need laughably minimal mastery of 60%. This, in my opinion, is absurd in the other direction, but what you're talking about seems like little more than rank discrimination. I'm reminded of the language tests that private schools in Hawaii used to administer long ago to prospective Asian students -- language tests where, if the prospective student mispronounced even one word or got one little thing wrong, they had "faulty language skills" and weren't academically ready.

Last edited by Baudelaire; 02/17/10 06:25 PM.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by elh0706
    For those of you in the education field, how much time either in college or in in-service or continuing Ed training is spent on how gifted can present and ways to meet the needs of gifted students? I ask because we had a really illuminating discussion with DS's teacher in the Fall. She really didn't seem to understand the difference between gifted and teacher pleasing high achieving students. Add in the 2E issues and we all began to understand why things could get derailed very quickly.

You're joking, right?
    There was absolutely no training. There may have been a mention of gifted students somewhere when we were covering special ed accommodations. That was about it.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Good luck Maria -
    I'm guessing that the 'Student Assistance Counselor' is in charge of 'social and emotional needs' - if so, get her to look at the teachers gradebook and tell you if she thinks that this is an emotionally healthy situation for you DD to be in - seriously!

As for your DD trying to go to 100% that can backfire in a major way. Let us know how the meeting goes with the principle, but I would work on the SA Counselor to co-write a letter to the principle letting her know all about this and DD's reaction and SAC's opinion.

Grins,
    Grinity

I'm with Grinity here. She only needs to get one thing wrong one time to blow that plan out of the water.

A
    A
    So cool to have Baudelaire here! Flaneurs unite!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM