Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by Edwin
    He is grade skipped and tested as a 3rd grader. Does JHU allow for re-testing, is their a wait time, or should I push because he would have qualified as a 2nd grader. This is not a big issue, but we may want him to take some language art classes this summer.

Was it a choice to have him test as a third grader since he was grade skipped or could you have had him test as a second grader?

Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    The have you test the grade that they are in, not by age.

Originally Posted by Edwin
    DS7 did the re-test on SCAT 3rd grade. He was sick the first time, so we thought he should re-test. He had a 430 on verbal and because of the grade skip he just missed the 435 cut off. On the re-test he recived 33 out of 50, 430 again (Consistant at least) he had 3 more correct answers, but I guess a few more students did a little better on this test. On the math he recived a 47, which is one less then last time (Still consistant)but received a higher score of 473. I guess less students did as well on math. Oh well, we will have to look eleswhere for a summer writing program. He still may take one of the summer science class's. Note just less then 24hrs to get results on line.

Beats me if I understand this. I think I won't even try. The snow must have melted a little bit in Baltimore as we finally got DS7 scores. He got 49/50 on eY1 in math but his score is only 472. He did quite well on verbal too (for a bilingual mathy kid who doesn't care about LA). He got 439 (85%).

LMom
    N
    N
    LMom,

Was your DS testing as a 2nd or 3rd grader?

Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    LMom great scours for your DS7, on the ey1 test DS7 3rd grade result was 48 out of 50 for a 469, a 472 for a 49 out of 50 seems about right. A 477 is 50 out of 50 as I understand it. On the eX2 a 47 out of 50 gets a 473. I just look at it as different tests with a lttle different norms.

He tested as a 2nd grader. I believe the scores are the same for the 2nd and 3rd graders, right? It's just the program eligibility that is different.

Edwin, I understand what you mean but to be honest I would expect the norms to be pretty much the same across all the tests.

LMom
    N
    N
    LMom,

I agree with you about the norms. It's odd, but the different versions of the test DO have different norms.

However, looking at the bar graphs in the Score Interpretation Guide, there is only one score higher than 472 for the 2nd/3rd grade Quantitative. So it makes sense that 49/50 would convert to a scaled score of 472.

B
    B
    Hoping I can piggyback on here?

My DD8 just took the SCAT on Monday. (Yes, it was the last day, but it got bumped a couple times for an impromptu vacation and then snow.) Her verbal was good (42/50) for a 451/90th percentile. She missed the math cutoff with a 30/50 for a 433/42nd percentile. But she told me she didn't finish the math section because she got stuck on a couple questions and only answered "thirty something" questions. For those who are curious about such things, she took version EY2.

I am wondering if there is any reason to re-test her at this point? We are interested in a summer camp, but it's a humanities camp so she is fine there. But would it make more sense to re-test her now vs waiting?

I feel a little bad because I don't think I prepped her properly. She has anxiety and I did not want to overprep her and make her more nervous. But I think she would have done better on the the math if she was more familiar with the format. We only did the practice exam on-line at CTY. She did the verbal in about 10 minutes. They came out and told me she clicked through her break and I expected her done quickly on math as well, but she took the full time and did not finish.

Mom to DD9 and DD3
    N
    N
    BethG,

What grade is your DD in?

B
    B
    What grade is your DD in?

Sorry, she's a third grader.

When I tried, he started to talk himself into not doing the test at all...

Yes, that is what started to happen with her, so I just backed off. Oh well.

Mom to DD9 and DD3
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs