Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
    W
    W
    Congrats!!! Hope I'm in your shoes in a month...

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    Good luck! We were just accepted. I hope other reply for you. It's nice to have company.

OTGM - I thought you mentioned in one of your posts that DYS delayed the start of your services due to a missing signature from your DS. I am searching high and low on the DYS application for where they are expecting DC to sign, and I cannot find any. Am I safe to assume that the missing signature was on the follow up forms DYS sent you after your DS was accepted?

I am just trying to dot all my i's and cross all of my t's, before putting this in the mail.(well, by the time I get this finalized I am sure it will be going to FedEx)

Jewel, you are right. There is no DC signature on the application but he/she needs to sign the forms that come with the acceptance letter.

We mailed DS5 application last week. I am waiting for a confirmation e-mail saying that they got at least one of the recommendation forms and we are all good.

LMom
    OP Offline
    I think I need a drink! I finished DD5's application today, and had it to the FedEx office by 3pm. All they have to do is get it 100 miles by 4pm on the 14th. (DH said we could have driven it there ourselves, seeing as we will be spending the next several days skiing very close to Reno)

After looking at the application for over 7 months, I am sure glad it is on its way. Of course I am still second guessing myself. Should we have done achievment testing? Did we include the right things in her Work Samples? Do they really care about comparing fractions worksheets done by a 3 year old? Are pictures of her whiteboard drawings and stories from when she was 4 really relevant? Should I have included the 1st grade spelling tests she got 100% on when she was 3.5?

You know the old saying, "You only get once to make a first impression", and I feel as if we (as parents of gifties) are constantly walking the fine line of wanting to be proud and yet not wanting to be braggarts.

It is so hard to make this first impression on our DD's behalf long distance and through a FedEx envelope. I guess it is all out of my hands, and we will just have to let that 3 lb envelope introduce our precious DD to DYS.

Fingers Crossed,
    Jewels

W
    W
    I'm right there with you! I'm going to be one big bundle of nerves till I hear from them with the results...

O
    O
    Jewels,

If you have second thoughts about sending something in to DYS, you can fax it. If they need more info. they will let you know.

Best of luck.

Good luck. I can only imagine how difficult it's to put together a portfolio as I struggled quite a lot with just the application itself.

As strange as it may sound it didn't help that we went through it with DS7 two years ago. We already did it once, we found the perfect answers for DS7 then but of course, they don't really apply to DS5. It's like knowing the best response but not being able to use it. Portfolio must have been so much harder than this.

I am glad it's done and over with. A few days ago I got a confirmation e-mail from DITD that they had received the full application. I fully intend to completely forget about it for next few weeks. If not then I hope I switch back to a cleaning mood as I did before and after DS5 took WJ-III. That could be rather helpful wink

Good luck to everybody waiting. Keep in mind that unless you apply with low scores the worst that will happen is being asked for more information or testing.

May I suggest chocolate and wine while we are all waiting? smile

LMom
    OP Offline
    LMom, you are so right. The worst they can do, is ask for more Information. Her WPPSI scores were absolutely great, and we never did achievement tests because her private school did placement tests and accelerated her without us having to provide acheivment results. (we were only going to have her do achievement tests if they were needed to qualify for DYS, since money does not grow on trees in our neck of the woods)

I think wine and chocolate are on the daily menu this weekend (valentines day is a great excuse to have it on hand). :-)

I guess my next task is to try to just forget about it for awhile. The wine should help! Lol

S
    S
    good luck to you all! Hopefully will get some more DYS's to join DS5 soon! (and if I can dream big, maybe even some that are within driving distance) : )

Still snowbound? Wow. Here is some wine then wink and chocolate too smile

Talking about waiting, I highly recommend taking SCAT right before a snowstorm hits Baltimore. If you plan it really well then there are may even be another snowstorm following right after the first one making sure nobody makes it to the office for a week.

So much for having the results on the Internet within 24 hours. There are times when 24 business hours are really hard to come smile

LMom
    Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs