Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    amazedmom #63046 12/04/09 10:06 AM
    Originally Posted by amazedmom
    She definitly is a mover, and her brain is always going. She has a hard time turning it off so to speak. It is hard because of we do not have constant activities that stimulate her mind she is bored. It ispretty tiring to me because se seems to need me engaged in it all with her constantly which wears my brain out LOL. Most of my friends kids will play, but DD's type of play is totally different....she's not that into doll houses, her play kitchen, or anything like that. She want to instead be doing pules, maze, building incredibly detailed block cities, and having me sit with her and answer questions while she looks at her globe...plus she has been asking me to teach her to read and we have been doing that. I need more activities! LOL

Thanks again

I don't think that she has ADHD, but you do have your hands full. At age 2 there is so little that they can physically do, it's hard to get them hard enough material to interact with on their limited physical abilities. I'm thinking that you might try bringing home some workbooks aimed at much older kids and see what happens if you leave them around the house. Have you looked at http://www.leapfrog.com/en/shop/tag_library.html
    http://www.leapfrog.com/en/families/leapster/leapster_bundles/disney_magical_fun.html

Seems like getting her brain worn out is the first step.

Now the second step. You will have to train her to be content without you - slowly, with lots of support and planning, but it 'must be done.' You can start by praising her for watching TV while you shower, or some other equally small babystep. Maybe even teach her to run in place for 10 seconds while she has to wait for you?

It will get easier!
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Kriston #63049 12/04/09 10:23 AM
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    A well-known psychlogist and GT/2E expert succinctly summed it up this way at a talk I once attended: an ADHD kid wants to sit still but can't. A GT or kinesthetic-learner kid likes how it feels to move.

I love this! This is actually how my ds6 describes his constant movement. He says it feels good and that he thinks better when moving. He was concentrating on a computer program very intently yesterday, and I just had to laugh because his mouth and body did not stop moving the entire time. If I'd made him be quiet and still, he would have had a harder time learning/completing the assigment, and it would have taken 5 times longer!

I have to say my ds6 is still exactly like your dd. He always has been. I always thought he didn't need as much sleep as other kids, but for him I've come to learn that he does need the sleep-it's just harder for him to get it because his mind won't shut off long enough for him to fall asleep. The sleep thing is much better now and has been for about a year.

He is much calmer, less fidgety, and sleeps better when he has a lot of physical and mental stimulation throughout the day. It's exhausting as a parent, I know. Good luck; she sounds like a normal, gifted little girl to me.

JenSMP #63054 12/04/09 10:38 AM
    V
    V
    Alright i turned 45 today and I exhibit all the behaviours of this 2 year old. wiggling check, constant movement, check talking /sing to self check My 8 yr old son is getting into trouble for all of these same things in his classroom. I know its not normal its just who we are.

vicam #63059 12/04/09 11:21 AM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    I just want to say thank you all so much again! It is amazing how much better I feel hearing others speak of the same thing. DD is like no other child I have ever met, and definitly not like my friends children, who will sit and play, and who sleep LOL.

Twinkletoes- our DDs do sound alike. I think I will have to look into that fish oil. I can not imagine having 2 like her. I told my mom that DD is the best form of birth control LOL. I love her, but I could not imagine how I could handle having 2 like her. LOL

Grinity- TY! She definitly loves the advanced workbooks we have. She loves doing K ones and 1st grade ones that challange her. I bought her a leappad off ebay for Christmas along with about 30 books. So I am hoping that will help. I have been trying to get her to do things without me which is definitly a struggle. Keep plowing away on it though.

JenSMP- Makes me hopeful that one day the sleep will be easier for her. Thank you for sharing

Vicam- you made me smile smile

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    amazedmom #63066 12/04/09 12:08 PM
    T
    T
    Hi Amanda,

Well my DD was had just turned one when I became pregnant and she had't really "exploded" into her dynamic personality yet so I didn't know what I was in for at that time. My younger one is so busy that it makes my head spin. NEITHER child is like any of the children we know. Both are theatrical, outgoing, highly verbal, and friendly, so on the surface it looks great, and they can be delightful, but they can really wear me out. Believe me, I am so done with childbearing after this LOL I see a pregnant woman and I shudder.

Fish oils help ADHD kids and while my DD isn't diagnosed with that and I am not saying she has it, I swear it has helped. For example, she used to be unable to stop kicking and twisting at night while I read her books while sitting on the couch, or tapping her hands etc. Now I swear she has kept her legs still longer. Maybe it is just getting older, but it happened after we started adding fish oil. The EPA content is even more important than the DHA.

Last edited by TwinkleToes; 12/04/09 12:17 PM.
    TwinkleToes #63117 12/04/09 08:30 PM
    P
    P
    Hi,

As long as we're talking supplements I have put in my plug for vitamin E, one of the least consumed vitamins by young kids... I'm naturally skeptic but saw a little bit calmer DS after a week or so with a daily cup of chocolate almond milk (lots of E in almonds). I do appreciate him however he is but he seems to get more enjoyment from things when he's in a (relatively) calm mood.

Polly

Polly #63126 12/04/09 10:01 PM
    Originally Posted by Polly
    Hi,

As long as we're talking supplements I have put in my plug for
    Melatonin - but I don't know the dosages for a child of that age! It is a favorite at our house! A gamechanger when it comes to unwinding and allowing needed sleep to arrive!

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #63134 12/05/09 01:29 AM
    M
    M
    My DS(16) fidgets, fidgets, fidgets... he has always been like this. When he was school captain in year 6 and had to sit on the stage at assemblies he would scratch his head, arms and legs and shift around in his chair, it was almost painful to watch. Thank goodness it stopped whenever he had to address the audience!

It was all I could do not to burst out laughing when we were having a meeting with the principal last year and we were going through the typical scratching only this time looking at his watch was thrown into the mix. It got to the point that she ended up asking him if he had to be somewhere else. He replied no, but said it in such a surprised way that you could tell he was thinking "why would she be asking me that". LOL.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM