Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 319 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    S
    OMG, so funny! Yes, my son did this a lot from 3.5-4.5, I sometimes kept a list. smile He was also learning French at the time, still is, and interested in other languages. I think that has something to do with it. He would read his English and French kid dictionaries before bed every night, maybe this had something to do with it. smile

My google has failed me. This is not the recent thread about made up words I was looking for. The boy just made a funny noise. I called it something between a burp and a gurgle. He said, "then it's a "Gurp". Ew., lol

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    S
    S
    Holy cow, this is driving us nutzo right now:

"Nar-nar" is, best I can define it, a state of being for a vehicle that is currently without roof. A convertible with the top down is nar-nar. An army jeep is nar-nar. A motorcycle is "kind of nar-nar."

It's not etymologically related to anything, as far as we can tell. He just noticed a gap in the English language where he REALLY needed (due to his, um, great love of anything vehicular) there to be a specific word. "It has its top down" or "it doesn't have a roof" just didn't cut it, oh no. We needed to be able to say, "It's nar-nar."

L
    L
    My mom's cousin didn't speak until he was 4. Then he spoke four languages at once: English like his father, Spanish like his mother, German like his nanny, and his own language. He'd apparently deduced that everyone who could talk had their own language, so he didn't talk until he'd come up with his.

It's a family legend, but I have met the guy. His parents would probably have appreciated this forum!

A
    A
    smacca,

At least he didn't decide to use "topless", a very reasonable choice, to describe this vehicular state. Imagine the looks the grandparents would give you if he nonchalantly dropped "Mom likes to drive the convertible topless..." into conversation. shocked

K
    K
    my son did the same thing at about the same age. he had over 300 words by 18mos and taught himself to read by 2.5yrs. around 4-5yrs he had made up a language he called "fallalajah" and used to go around singing songs in the language. very cute we thought. it went away but he still remembers that he used to do that.

DD5.5 has done this for quite some time. She enjoys making up new words on the fly, then gives me the definition for them if I look confused. I enjoy the creativity. She's been very verbal for a long time and is a great communicator (as long as her thoughts or feelings don't get in the way!) so I have never seen a problem with this behavior.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM