Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 294 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Wei-I
    How did you get the coupon code? I thought that the sale was no longer running until I put that coupon code in?
    I just received my package... Yay!

I got the $20 Off code from www.RetailMeNot.com.

If you don't have that site bookmarked, do so now... it's a fantastic clearinghouse of discount codes.

You can have the site email you automatically with new coupons for any site(s) you choose. Very handy service.

I've saved small chunks of $$ on purchases from florists, auto parts, computer parts, office supplies... so it's definitely worth a few seconds to check before placing your order.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    M
    M
    You need to get on their email list!

I got an email for the current four day sale. Couldn't resist classes for $19.95 to $39.95.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    S
    S
    We have recently been watching "The Joy of Mathematics" (http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=1411) that a friend loaned us.

It has been exactly what I needed! I highly recommend it!

My 8 year old son has recently "exploded" in his math abilities, going from 5th grade math in 2nd grade to halfway done with Algebra I in 3rd grade. I'm not exactly a math person, and I have really struggled with how to keep him stimulated. This DVD lecture series has been a god-send. We watch it in short increments on our car DVD player while we're driving. The course has really helped him learn to "think like a mathematician", and has really inspired him.

I've learned a lot too! My literary 13 year old daughter acts like we're torturing her whenever we watch it, but surprisingly, my 11 year old son that struggles with math enjoys it very much. I'm surprised at how well my 11 year old grasps the complex math concepts even though he makes poor grades in math and is very challenged by computation.

S
    S
    Okay... since "The Joy of Mathematics" has worked so well for us, I decided to get two more: "Highschool Level Geometry" (to work on as soon as DS8 finishes Algebra 1) and "Joy of Science". WIth the sale and two coupon codes I got from this thread (thanks everyone!!) the purchase will be $94.90 instead of $870.

I'm especially excited about the science DVDs, as I am wondering if I can accelerate DS8's science to catch up to his math level. Although he jumped up to highschool math easily, I'm not sure if he's ready at this point to jump up from 3rd grade science to highschool science. I'm hoping these DVDs will get him ready for for highschool science in 4th grade.

C
    C
    The code they sent me for the current four day sale isn't working for me, but the one posted at the top of this thread still is. Does anyone know when the two coupons here expire?

D
    D
    Originally Posted by slhogan
    We have recently been watching "The Joy of Mathematics" (http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=1411) that a friend loaned us.

It has been exactly what I needed! I highly recommend it!
    I had to post a follow-up. I bought this course back in December and have watched most of it... I loved it and have been waiting to "share" it with my son.

Unfortunately, he's been so torqued off about math this quarter that I haven't even mentioned it. Things have calmed down a bit so I decided to set my trap.

Because we rarely turn on the TV during the week, I immediately captured his attention when I powered it up tonight.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"Oh... thought I'd fold some laundry and watch some math."

"Do I have to help fold if I watch?"
    (Normally, this is the LAW in our house -- if someone wants to watch TV, they must fold laundry.)

"No... you can just watch if you want. It's just math stuff."
    (Really trying to play it down... he just might take the bait.)

So he picks up the DVD case & scans the chapter titles.

"Oooohhh!!! The Joy of PI! I wanna watch that!"

-- -- --

The kid was positively riveted for the entire 30-minute lecture... it was amazing. And as tempted as I was to let him stay up late for a 2nd lecture, I decided to follow the show-biz adage of "always leave them wanting more" and sent him to bed.

Tomorrow night he wants to watch the lecture on "the imaginary number i"... and then "the number 9" ... and then "infinity." And several more.

Ha -- I got him right where I want him!
    (It worked so well, I almost feel guilty... almost.)

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    The kid was positively riveted for the entire 30-minute lecture... it was amazing. And as tempted as I was to let him stay up late for a 2nd lecture, I decided to follow the show-biz adage of "always leave them wanting more" and sent him to bed.

Tomorrow night he wants to watch the lecture on "the imaginary number i"... and then "the number 9" ... and then "infinity." And several more.

Ha -- I got him right where I want him!
    (It worked so well, I almost feel guilty... almost.)
    Well done :-) I should watch that while DS is around - I bought it a while back along with several other courses and we haven't got to it so far. (We all enjoyed the particle physics ["for non-physicists: a tour of the microcosmos"] one enormously, and then started Maths from the Visual World which is stylistically a little bit of a let down after the physics - clear, but with a relatively low-energy presentation style, and DS was not immediately hooked, so we didn't carry on.)

Has your son watched the Dimensions videos? I bet he'd love them.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Has your son watched the Dimensions videos? I bet he'd love them.
    "Dimensions?"

I'd have to say, "no." Not sure what those are. Linky?

C
    C

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    D
    D
    Thank you!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM