Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    My understanding they are more interested in traditional academics not so much the arts for getting accepted. But don't hold back things that you think are amazing. Chess was of one thing they found significant.

Did you have qualifying IQ and achievement?

Last edited by onthegomom; 12/05/09 02:42 PM.
    Oooh, thanks for posting that, onthegomom. DS5 just beat his dad at chess today for the first time. (DH took off his knights, so it wasn't a completely even match-up. But close! And DH is good!) DS5 hasn't been tested yet. We'll do that this spring. But more and more I'm thinking he might be a DYS candidate.

My point: as I read your post about chess and realized he was in the other room playing a chess match against himself, it prompted me to film him so that I have some chess footage if we ever apply for him. I asked him about a move, and he said "no because then this would happen, then that, then this, then that" about 10 moves ahead! It's good footage, I think, and totally DS5.

So thanks! smile

Kriston
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    My understanding they are more interested in traditional academics not so much the arts for getting accepted. But don't hold back things that you think are amazing. Chess was of one thing they found significant.

Did you have qualifying IQ and achievement?

We had qualifying achievement scores, and I wasn't sure with her IQ because she hit the ceiling in 3 subtests, so it needed to be recalculated with the extended norms and the woman who did the original testing didn't think that applying the extended norms was a good idea because she felt that it then makes the results less reliable.

We may have difficulty with putting together a portfolio then because most of DD's really "Wow" stuff is related to her expressions in art work and creative projects. But, who knows, maybe in looking back at things we'll find enough stuff.
    She doesn't play chess though so that's not an option. (She just turns the pieces into people and starts doing a puppet like show with them. crazy )

Actually, Kerry, a puppet show with chess pieces might be a good indication of creative thinking...

I always say that it's best to find a situation where the child is being most herself and capture that for the application, whatever "that" is. A puppet show can show a deep understanding of plot and character and a facility with language. Not a bad idea!

Kriston
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    DYS portfolio ideas:
    I would look at the characteristics of Profoundly gifted and see if you can think of examples that support these ideas.

Give the age, if the work was done at school or home, done independently or with help and a description. You could give titles in a table of contents for organization with numbered pages. Make a format that is easily understood.

What was done with their knowledge? Did the child start a project that evolved over several years? Did your child win any related contests? Think about how a child stands out from peers in interest and ability. A portfolio can show the obssesive interests, process, determination, creativity, depth of interests, applications that evolve into more complex learning/projects. What above level reading or projects did they do that show their interest. The portfolio could be supporting examples to the questions in the application.

Keep asking questions here for ideas until you are satisfied the portfolio shows your child's uniqueness. You may PM me if you want. I have no expertise in this area but will help if I can.

Last edited by onthegomom; 12/07/09 08:00 AM.
    M
    M
    I've been watching this post for a while and I have a qestion. I will be submitting the DYS application for my DS8 in January. We have qualifying IQ and Achievment scores, but will those alone be enough to be accepted? Does DYS like to see the scores along with portfolio evidence?

Thanks for the help,
    mommyj2

We didn't submit a portfolio. They based their decision to accept my dd based on the application and her scores.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    DS scores were borderline so we submitted a portfolio to encourage insight beyond the test scores. I thought if we were accepted it would also help the advisor know us better but I'm not sure how that all works. we are waiting....

Video can also be submitted. Good luck.

M
    M
    What are borderline scores? We just received our WISC and WIAT scores last week, so we are very new to all this. 99.9 is what they want, right? At first, I didn't think the application would be a big deal to fill out, but after reading this post I'm getting a little nervous!

Thanks!

J
    J
    Well our school board still won't give me the raw IQ data to turn in even after I told them that according to FERPA they had to. I talked to the Davidson Institute and they want a portfolio since I can't get those scores.

I have no idea what to include. I'm pretty much at a loss so I might put off the application for now and try again later. After my day at the school board yesterday trying to get those scores I feel defeated.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM