Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 65 of 76 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 75 76
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    I'm starting to remember how DS hated being asked things he already knew when he was younger. He would give silly answers instead. Maybe a bit of this is coming back.

I'm glad your DS's teachers are letting him opt-out of some things.

Why does this have to be so hard!?

Yes...DS did it very young too, when he was 3 and went to school. Then it stopped for a couple years and started up some more. He still usually answers the right answers, but I think when it is really basic he would just amuse himself. But I think with my DS too, he doesn't always answer things....sometimes sits there because he thinks the answer is obvious and doesn't even want to say it. sounding out words, etc. I could never imagine him raising his hand for something like "what sounds does A make?" or "what does Apple start with?" I have to say, with DS they more recently have allowed him to opt out of things as he has shown them more. So I really hope they can with your DS too as time goes on. Hopefully with your school it is that they just don't get him yet. For the first month or so they didn't get my DS either as he was acting out a lot. Thankfully now they are seeing the other parts of him too. But he still has to do some stuff that is clearly way under his level, but he deals with it.

Anyhow, I hope it gets easier and better for you!! You are in my thoughts : )

C
    C
    Originally Posted by kimck
    St. Pauli - I'm so sorry to hear it's not going so well. So much of that sounds familiar.

I hope doing EPGY at home will generate some more evidence that he needs some acceleration quickly. I'm glad he doesn't fight on the way in though! Keep us posted and vent if you have to.

We're doing EPGY at home. I haven't even attempted to get something like that at school. Hopefully it might be a possibility next year when he's full day --though I'm leaning more and more towards just wanting to homeschool him and be done with it -- unless they move him up for math. But even then I think they'd only move him to 2nd grade and since he's already almost through 2nd grade on EPGY I don't think he'd get much out of it.

We are planning a SST meeting to see what the school might be able to do for DS. I don't know if much will come of it but they are aware(ish) of his possible sensory issues so that may help them (or hinder them) from doing something more for him.

The only 'concessions' we have are he gets to do Accelerated Reading which took until end of Sep to have him tested and then until 3 weeks ago to really get him taking quizzes. Now that is going smoothly and he seems to be taking 3-5 a week! He also gets to do some slightly harder (1st grade) I believe reading comp. worksheets and the occasional math worksheet is offered.
    I think it's just really hard for them with 1/2 day K to 'find the time' to deal with the accelerated kids. He's not the only one in the class, there is one other boy but he's not quite as ahead as DS and a behavior problem to boot.

I've gotten from DS that he only likes recess quite a few times, but he seems happy and content most of the time about going to school. He did go and sit on the sidelines at the party/'dance' they had the other day though which made me feel horrible frown (since I didn't stay due to my DD being too little to go, she's 4). He loves his teacher though so I'm sure that helps a ton.

I
    I
    St. Pauli,

Sending virtual hugs your way. I wish things were going more smoothly for your ds.

Have you noticed, does he still have the same hunger for knowledge and desire to learn new things with you at home? Or do you think the school situation has made him check out of learning all together? I've noticed something like that before with my dd5. She seems to go through phases where it's almost like as if her desire for learning stops -- home, school, where ever. I've found this is usually followed by a big leap of some kind.

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    St. Pauli,

Teacher complained earlier in the year about GD not participating in class. Her example - she wouldn't sing the days of the week song etc. Of course GD has known calendar facts since age 3. In Pre-K she got in trouble for trying to answer all the questions. In Kindergarten she tends to tune out when they are going over simple things she already knows. Maybe that's a big part of it.

Good luck. Maybe you can try to explain to him that he needs to participate enough so the teacher understands he knows the answers. Hope things improve.

Originally Posted by Irisheyes
    Have you noticed, does he still have the same hunger for knowledge and desire to learn new things with you at home? Or do you think the school situation has made him check out of learning all together? I've noticed something like that before with my dd5. She seems to go through phases where it's almost like as if her desire for learning stops -- home, school, where ever. I've found this is usually followed by a big leap of some kind.

Thank you for this. It does seem that his desire for learning has slowed. I do hope that it is followed by a leap. I hope it's just a natural progression, and not school sapping him of the desire to learn.

GM5 - your description of your GD sounds familiar. MY DS never participated in songs in preschool, but mostly because he doesn't like singing in a group. Maybe at this point, he's heard so much of what is being taught that he too is just silent. Hard to say.

Originally Posted by GM5
    Maybe you can try to explain to him that he needs to participate enough so the teacher understands he knows the answers. Hope things improve.

I have been trying to do this, but when I asked DS5 if he answers much in class, he says that he does. I did get a little clue from him just now when he admitted that he doesn't like to answer if he's not sure if he's right.

Thanks all for your thoughts!

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    GD5 is off to school after the Thanksgiving break. Yesterday she started getting nervous about going back (DD and I pretty much felt the same way). Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and will have a great first week back to school. Looking forward to hearing updates from all of you.

J
    J
    It was nice to have a week off and not worry about school. My step son (5 also) was here all week and it's amazing to me to see the differences in him and DS. I'd say SS is right on target for a 5 year old. He knows a few of his letters and can count to 15. I can't imagine how bored DS is in a class full of kids that are doing that. Today I start back with the advocacy. The school will be getting a call later.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Wren
    There are a lot of kids starting K on this forum. DD4, turns 5 end of Sept, is going to the Jesuit school. They will accelerate, but that is only after they are there. I am not worried about that -- figured DD will tell the teacher she is bored enough times. But I am focused on extra-curricular like the piano and the mandarin to fill in.

I also see the mix in her brain. A few days ago, she turns to me and says 3X3+3 is 12. But if I gave her an equation, she might just look at it. She was calculating how many weeks of swim camp she had. She did 2 sessions of 2 weeks each, then broke for oceanography and tennis, and is doing another session of swim camp. She is walking along and figures it out.

Based on the research, the full IQ isn't known until around approx 7 right, or really until after the puberty development. So I want to feed her needs on several levels, just not the math and reading. She can do that at advanced levels. But if I give her Mandarin lessons and the piano, it will do the synapse thing in other areas, and give her extra skills in the increasingly competitive world.

I agree with you. Sometimes I feel I learn from my kid. I ask him how much 3+3. He will answer 3+3+3=12 instead of saying 3+3=6.

My kid now learns English better than Mandarin. I wonder it is my fault. For a long time I did not read him anything in Mandarin.

M
    M
    GM5 and Jamie B: Thinking of both of you. How did the post-Thanksgiving return go?

Wren: Just after reading back on the posts I missed while we were away, we were sitting at the dinner table trying to persuade DS7 to eat some yogurt. Husband says: Eat half, then eat half of that. DS7 argues and argues about how that would mean he would have to eat the whole thing. We say, no, but how much are you eating? DS5 chimes in that it's half and then a quarter. Somehow, I'm certain that if I put fractions in front of him, he'd say they were too hard! ;-)

Page 65 of 76 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM