Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Originally Posted by MonetFan
    I recently met with his kindergarten teacher for the first time after the start of school, and I was taken aback at the things she said. She is wholly unimpressed by him, thinks his perfectionist streak is a problem (admittedly, *sometimes* it is), and thinks his sensitive soul is emotionally immature.

This is so ironic. Her insensitive soul is more mature that his? Really? How does she know?

I'd much rather have a perfectionist for a brain surgeon. It is a part of his character and a part that is very valuable.

I think you have to go with what you KNOW versus what others say.

There are private schools in Texas that cater to PG kids and there are a handful of public schools that have specific programs where PG kids are taught as a group TOGETHER with teachers that get them. You will need to do a test to gain entrance, but the tests are objective. I think your son would be welcome.

V
    V
    I too have just entered this realm. It feels as if it's you against the school. I suggest gettimg him tested asap so you are fully informed. There is also alot of other information about asynochoris(Sic) child who is at all different levels of developement emotionally, socially and academically. dabrowski's oversensitivities and sensory processing issues( what i think my son is dealing with)

My son is exhibiting these same characteristics so face it now so you know the path to take.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you all for the wonderful feedback! I suppose we will have to look into the testing route and see where we go next. Thanks again!

Well we all know how frustrating this is. My DS is in 4th grad and the school has now just taken away the 45 minutes, once a week slot of stimulating G&T time. I started looking at private schools (which we as well can't afford but are so desperate) but I was given some good advice which I found to be true. Just because it is a private school does not mean you will get a better education or a better teacher that suits the needs of your child. My son was told in 1st grade that he should be tested but there was no one else in the program and she felt he would feel left out in the regular classroom! There are just teachers who do not understand children who are at a higher level or believe that a child should be "pushed" - even though we know that we are not pushing them. It is they who are seeking out the knowledge and it is we who want to provide it for them. As for the perfectionism, when something seems to hard, allow him to begin at a lower level and when he masters that and gains the confidence he will then begin to blossom. As on of the myths with G&T kids is that they can't be perfect at everything they do. Speak to one of the directors at the school about it and if they do not help then testing may be a good idea. Whatever the case, nurture his natural abilities.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM