Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    MAE Offline
    Yes! Thank you Melissa for putting up with the hassle of dealing with 60 of us to get this program going! EPGY has allowed DS to find his pace, and we wouldn't have been able to do it without your co-op.

MAE #61386 11/15/09 11:11 PM
    C
    C
    I wish I had known about this group's EPGY group before signing on through our school district! I think it would have been more beneficial to DS5. We love EPGY as it's allowed him to set the pace and learn so many new things - while his class is working on the numbers 1-10. He loves to learn and hopefully this keeps him interested!

MAE #61395 11/16/09 06:24 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by MAE
    Yes! Thank you Melissa for putting up with the hassle of dealing with 60 of us to get this program going! EPGY has allowed DS to find his pace, and we wouldn't have been able to do it without your co-op.

We are now passing 90 students and growing! It's great to see so many families being able to benefit from the program. smile

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    melmichigan #61408 11/16/09 08:02 AM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by melmichigan
    We are now passing 90 students and growing! It's great to see so many families being able to benefit from the program. smile
    Wow! Are you planning on capping it as some point and are you going to do this again when it is time to re-enroll in June?

I notice that they've changed the requirements to be a group -- down to 8 and it says something about the group members living w/in reasonable geographical distance of one another. Does the geographical distance requirement negatively impact us at all?

Cricket2 #61415 11/16/09 09:18 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I will cap the group when it becomes a burden on my time and responsibilities to my family. smile I have another parent willing to help when EPGY deems the group large enought to add an SSA. The yahoo group is run by another volunteer parent. With five children, my youngest turning two next month, I plan to be doing this for a while. smile

I don't know of any reason the geographical distance would negatively impact anyone in the group. It began that you could only join if you were part of a group formed by your school district and has expanded from there. I imagine it would benefit you if there was a group in your area that was active outside of EPGY. There is one really big homeschool group in the Open Enrollment that is very active within their community and has hundreds of students. You could certainly say there is more benefit to be part of a group like that if it is available to you.

melmichigan #61424 11/16/09 10:03 AM
    O
    O
    I think the not to many repetions and advancing at one's level would be great for my son. Is there more depth in this math to be geared to gifted? Does this generate reports that show progress and Mastery. Is there enrichment activities to slow the advancement to the next grade, yet provide more depth?

If there is no teacher, then does it become very time consuming for the parent? Or the supervising teacher at school.

Is it correct that we could join this and do what ever grade of Math we want? Is this just Math?

melmichigan #61454 11/16/09 01:33 PM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by melmichigan
    I don't know of any reason the geographical distance would negatively impact anyone in the group.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I haven't had any negative impact at all smile. I was more concerned that they might not allow us to do this again next year given our geographical dispersion. Their webpage now says that students in one group must all live w/in a reasonable geographical distance from one another although they didn't define what they were considering reasonable.

Cricket2 #61484 11/16/09 05:50 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    The policy for groups hasn't really changed. It used to be written - within a school district. The question and response from EPGY regarding our demographics is here http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/50559/1.html just page down a few responses. smile

onthegomom #61486 11/16/09 05:56 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Just click on the links mentioned in this thread. There are literally pages of information on the group available. Otherwise click on my name and search my posts for EPGY. smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...