Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 57 of 76 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 75 76
    G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    Grinity and Shellymoss - Thank you for the suggestion about OT for Sensory Integration. I looked up some info online and printed out a checklist for DD. 3-4 of the areas do seem to fit GD although I had previously thought OE's. Unfortunately DD has not yet read any of the info so I don't know if she will bring it up at meeting with the play therapist today or not. At least it gives us an idea to follow up on. Maybe the school psychologist or the play therapist will suggest OT. If not, I'll make sure DD remembers to bring it up - she would do anything to help GD. Who knows, maybe OT will be the answer we've been looking for.

J
    J
    Yeah DS! I'm so glad that 1st grade is going well for him!

J
    J
    Originally Posted by mom2twoboys
    I'm sure his fingers will catch up with his perfectionist brain at some point in his life!
    Oh yes...everybody eventually learns to write smile

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    mom2twoboys: your DS sounds so similar to mine! the perfectionism, especially with writing & the math surprises!

for the record, my DS's writing has improved DRAMATICALLY since the switch AND he doesn't struggle as much to make it perfect. In fact, quite the opposite now. He has to be reminded to write neater during non-handwriting lessons! I'm not quite sure how that happened, but there is "hope" for your DS's fingers to catch up! smile

M
    M
    I tend to incorporate a lot of math things into our everyday lives, for instance last year, we had a behavior/allowance chart that was tally based. It's been a natural thing to do b/c DS7 is math accelerated and is and always has been a little engineer. The kids get allowance so they can practice counting money and learn its value. DS is also asthmatic and needs medicine daily. So, last year, when counting got boring, we skip counted in various ways -- 2s, 3s, 5s, 10s (and counted in other languages). That kind of stuff. But DS actually was able to read charts and graphs, including those where a key would indicate a symbol is equal to a larger amount than 1.

He's got an older brother and I can't recall if DS5 was around when I was talking with DS7 about checking the key to make sure his answers are right. Often, DS5 will be within earshot when homework is going on. He can add and subtract single digits. He surprised me a couple of weeks ago when we were playing Monopoly b/c he kept mental calculations going of how much money he had as he earned and paid for things. And last year, when a preschool teacher tried to get him to paint big strokes rather than his very carefully painted lines, DS5 looked at what she'd done with the paintbrush and told her she'd drawn an infinity symbol and then went about painting the way he wanted.

I know that's a long answer. But I think our lives are just too fluid to fully figure it out!

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    I love long answers - sometimes that's how we get ideas we can use. Counting was never an issue for GD, including skip counting. She understands 10's, 100's, 1000's etc. (at least as far as reading the nos). She has had basic add & sub concepts down for over a year, but will still count on her fingers if I give her a problem (although she can do in her head if she doesn't think too hard about it). Patterns etc. came early. However, I've been trying to think of a way to work on money & had planned to play store. Using an allowance to buy real things sounds even better. Don't you love that he came up with the "infinity symbol" comment! He sounds like a great kid. I think GD is more verbal (reading etc.) than math oriented but still ahead of most in K.

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    Does anyone have suggestions about how to find a psychologist who is familiar with gifted kids locally? I wonder if there is any way to get recommendations from authors such as James T Webb? My DD is willing to let me research this but I'm not sure where to start. Some psychologists say they work with gifted kids but I'm not sure they are really familiar with all aspects, especially of young 5 yr. olds. I want to be prepared in case we need that option soon. BTY, we are in Houston.

M
    M
    We got our referral to DS's psychologist from his pediatrician. Turns out that not only is she a very skilled child psychologist, but one of her sons (now in his 20s) is HG.

- Kate, mom to Ray
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by GM5
    Does anyone have suggestions about how to find a psychologist who is familiar with gifted kids locally? I wonder if there is any way to get recommendations from authors such as James T Webb? My DD is willing to let me research this but I'm not sure where to start. Some psychologists say they work with gifted kids but I'm not sure they are really familiar with all aspects, especially of young 5 yr. olds. I want to be prepared in case we need that option soon. BTY, we are in Houston.

Have you tried the Hoagies list?

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/psychologists.htm

There's a recommended psychologist in Austin.

S
    S
    GM5 - We found ours through Hoagies and we loved her. This was for testing though, not counseling. But I believe she may do counseling as well and she specializes in working with gifted kids. I would definitely suggest looking at Hoagies, and if there are people that do testing and don't do counseling...you may still be able to call and see who they would recommend for counseling because certainly they have referred gifted kids for counseling in the past. Good luck!

Page 57 of 76 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM