Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Emerson Wong), 172 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    I emailed NWEA about the ACCES in Florida but the guy will be out of the office the next 3 days. I'll report back.

N
    N
    Thanks, Dazey. I'll be interested in hearing the details.

OP Offline
    I just want to make sure it's a reputable way to take the MAP. He did give me the info to look up test sites by state so I could always called my neighboring district but being able to do it at home is a huge plus. Even if my district won't accept the test results, for $28, I'll do A.C.C.E.S. MAP for my own knowledge and have him take the SAT/10 in a nearby co-op if possible.

Dazey

Dazey,
    I am having a hard time following this thread. Is the option to take the MAP test at home only available in Florida? My ds took the MAP with a local public school. I'd be interested in learning if we could take it at home. thanks.

OP Offline
    No, I emailed A.C.C.E.S. (or whatever the initials are lol) and anyone can use their service. You take it at home. If you go to the website, there is a form to download for HSers. There will be a specified date and time in which you log on to do the test. The test window is mid-April to mid-May. You can also take the MAP at local schools. I read of someone doing that so I contacted MAP to get the list of schools in my area using it. The school is in a neighboring district so I don't know what their response will be. Also, in my state, MAP test is not on the approved list so I'd have to contact them for approval. But even if they won't accept it (I wouldn't have anyone to proctor it since the time slot would be during school time and my teacher friend is working again) I will still have him do the MAP test and just try to do the SAT/10 with a nearby co-op.

Dazey

OP Offline
    I got an email back from NWEA. the person I spoke to checked and A.C.C.E.S. is indeed a legitimate MAP testing service. The person I spoke to spoke to the person (ha ha ha) who manages the A.C.C.E.S. account. He said just to verify that they allow those outside of Florida to test, which I have done, and got an affirmative so looks like I'll be signing up DS to take it in the spring.

Dazey,
    Thanks for posting this info. I am the one who tested with our local charter school and paid $15 for the test. So.... it is still a toss up for me, because A.C.C.E.S. charges $28. It still may be worth it for me, money-wise, to take it local, since ds could take it twice a year for nearly the price of one test through ACCES Within a week, a teacher from the school sat down with me for 30minutes and explained the results that she had already printed. I felt that I easily got my $15 worth.
    -cc

OP Offline
    Yes, I'd definitely go local if I had that option. ALthough having him do it at home has the added benefit of my being able to watch the test as well. I read somewhere that that was very helpful to do.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM