Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    Anyone have any thoughts on personality type and the reliability of test results? I know that my son will put in the bare minumum required (or less) if asked to do something he is not interested in like "those stupid boring questions" on the WISC-IV. Or the long boring questions on state tests etc. So unless they redesign the tests to revolve around Zelda Twilight Princess I sincerely doubt that we have accurate test scores ever.
    I also really liked the Left Brain discussion as our state tests in the school put a huge emphasis on students "explaining" their work and DS is like I was..."I just know it, I can't (or equally important don't want to bother) to explain it."
    What do you all think?

My understanding is that for Es, the T/J thing isn't so well defined, and for Is the N/S preference isn't so well defined. Or something like that - details detail, just dance around me, but it is in the Wikipedia article - I'm just too tired to look it up! Some people are close to the middle on everything, and that is good too.

I wish they used this to help choose college roomates - seems like that would reduce stress in a big way.

And yeah, Breakaway, I'll bet INTP/INFP do cause trouble in school even without being gifted - great point! However, I'll bet the kind of trouble the non-gifted ones cause isn't so 'new and different' or so 'powered by intense.'

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Breakaway4
    Jen,

Did you find that the descriptions were pretty accurate?

Breakaway,
    I think they are spot on! I read the description to ds, and he was cracking up because it described him so well!

I'm an ENFP; ds is an ENP (I guess they don't do the T/F distincition with kids.)

I've done the M-B profile a few times, and I've always gotten the same result. I find it to be quite accurate. Describes me to a tee.

Jen

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Originally Posted by joys
    Also he is social but not actually seeking approval from the adults, just from the kids
    Ut Oh!

Would you describe DS4 as flexible? if not, pull up a chair, and I'll tell you a story.

This sounds like my DS13, who is an INTP or INTJ. It's hard to tell when they are so young. But the take home message is this: If you have a gifted child (especially a boy) who is social, and not approval seeking, be sure sure sure to get them in a good academic fit situation, because they will not suffer quietly! They also have a tendency to enjoy 'stirring things up' inside the classroom if aren't fully engaged and feeling like they have something to gain by compiling with the Adults.

Well, that's what happened in our house, anyway!
    Smiles,
    Grinity (ENTP, and how!)

No, I will not describe him as flexible even though he tries hard mostly because he knows that adults get upset and punish if he shows his inflexibility. But that does not prevent him from stirring things up to create challenge or just to get into a lengthy argument. We are not 100% confident that his school is meeting his academic needs but we feel that his teacher is slowly started to understand him and how to keep him occupied so we are hoping things will work-out. He is in pre-k and have not been tested but we are beginning to think that he is highly or profoundly gifted.

Grinity, if you don't mind can you please share what could be the signs of silent sufferings?

V
    V
    I have personally done this assessment several times and come out the one who is least prevalent. I learned that although people perceive me as social I am a major introvert who needs alone time. This is the same for my son. It is tiring to be around people and up. The school seems to think this is anti-social, not needing to be with others constantly.

OP Offline
    I'm with you Vicam. I love a good party, love to talk but I am always the first one to leave.

Grinity, if you don't mind can you please share what could be the signs of silent sufferings?
    Sign #1 (almost inescapable in females, IMHO, also a problem for some males) - assuming that the problem is YOU, not the poor academic fit. Never getting a sense of one's potential. Always aiming too low. Pouring tremendous energy into figuring out a way to fit in and mask one's true being.

Sign #2 Stomach aches, saying 'I hate school'

Sign #3 Not wanting to try new things where one might be seen not knowing what they are doing. Being afraid to take chances. Needing one's school work to be perfect, to the point where the paper wears out from erasing, or the child refuses to try.

Sign #4 Saying: I'm too litte to read (or whatever) or child now refuses to use skills that they have, and it isn't to get a rise out of the parent.

Sign #5 Being emotionally invested in finishing first, being the fastest, assuming that being smart is all about never having to live a brain cell to learn.

I'm sure we could add a few more, but this is what comes to mind.
    Best Wishes,
    Grinity

We are not 100% confident that his school is meeting his academic needs but we feel that his teacher is slowly started to understand him and how to keep him occupied so we are hoping things will work-out.

You'll never be 100% confident, but it's great that you are starting to learn how to advocate. A great teacher will do a great job with your child. If you can quietly in the backround make some family decisions that will allow a few years of homeschooling if it should become nescessary, you'll sleep better at night. Forwarned is 4armed!

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Sign #1 (almost inescapable in females, IMHO, also a problem for some males) - assuming that the problem is YOU, not the poor academic fit. Never getting a sense of one's potential. Always aiming too low. Pouring tremendous energy into figuring out a way to fit in and mask one's true being.

Sign #2 Stomach aches, saying 'I hate school'

Sign #3 Not wanting to try new things where one might be seen not knowing what they are doing. Being afraid to take chances. Needing one's school work to be perfect, to the point where the paper wears out from erasing, or the child refuses to try.

Sign #4 Saying: I'm too litte to read (or whatever) or child now refuses to use skills that they have, and it isn't to get a rise out of the parent.

Sign #5 Being emotionally invested in finishing first, being the fastest, assuming that being smart is all about never having to live a brain cell to learn.

I'm sure we could add a few more, but this is what comes to mind.
    Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Luckily none of these signs so far. The part of the reason is he enjoys art corner other than social interactions. Mainly because he can pick up pencils\crayons and paper and pretty much do anything, draw a picture, color it the way he wants and write. The other day at home he picked up pen and paper and drew solar system, sun, planets, moon, asteriod with various shades of colors, he also titled them with just a few spelling mistakes which we gently corrected. So now we know why he enjoys art corner.
    We are not sure how will it work out in future though as the curriculum will become more and more adult guided.

M
    M
    [quote=Grinity][quote=joys] This sounds like my DS13, who is an INTP or INTJ. It's hard to tell when they are so young. But the take home message is this: If you have a gifted child (especially a boy) who is social, and not approval seeking, be sure sure sure to get them in a good academic fit situation, because they will not suffer quietly! They also have a tendency to enjoy 'stirring things up' inside the classroom if aren't fully engaged and feeling like they have something to gain by compiling with the Adults.

Sorry, if I hijacked your quote incorrectly, Grinity. But, I have a question for you... What ended up being your fit for your DS13 at 4yrs? You are describing my DS4.5 now who is at home due to not finding a fit for him around here. I don't see a good fit in the near future either. If his speech were better, I'd try to skip him into 1st grade next year as he is fairly well-rounded academically; but the school systems here do not seem to be open-minded enough for that to happen. ("everyone evens out in the 3rd grade mindset") Any advice? Thanks.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent