Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 121 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    JenSMP #60431 11/05/09 01:16 PM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Good grief! I just read the online reviews of the school; not sure why I hadn't done that already! Most of them are wonderful, but there are a few that are scathing! I hate that; I end up focusing on the few bad reviews rather than the many great ones. More to think about.

JenSMP #60437 11/05/09 01:54 PM
    Can he attend for a week in November or December? Some schools let you do that. Would they be open to something like that?

Good luck with your decision. It's not an easy one.

LMom
    LMom #60453 11/05/09 04:03 PM
    O
    O
    If you can start in January, that would give you all that time to see what you think of homeschooling him. Then after his half a year in school you might compare the two experiences and see what is best. There may be activities for homeschoolers in your area where he can be social too. The Zoo, Parks, YMCA, Musems, and libraries may have classes during the day.

onthegomom #60458 11/05/09 04:35 PM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ds starts science and art classes at a very small local private school tomorrow. They are very hands-on and follow some Montessori philosophy, but they do not claim to be Montessori or use that name at all. It's just one day a week, but if we like it we can add other days. He'll go for three hours on Fridays: Art, Science, Recess (playground). We'll see how that goes as well. Knowing my ds, he'll LOVE this just as much as the Montessori school. LOL

JenSMP #60497 11/06/09 05:49 AM
    Originally Posted by JenSMP
    Ds starts science and art classes at a very small local private school tomorrow.

Opps - I hadn't remembered this part! Well then, that sounds much more flexible, and worth a try. Maybe this is work for your family? I'd say to trust that Mom-gut and remember that 'Rome wasn't built in a day.'

It took a while for things to get so tangled up, and will take a while to get them figured out, time and living.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #60638 11/08/09 09:41 AM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Well, ds didn't start the classes at the small private school. We decided to wait. The more dh and I talk about the Montessori school, the more we're convincved it's worth a try. After spending just two hours there, ds is again realizing how much he misses being with other children. I know there are coops, etc., but I've not had much luck finding any group that meets consistently; not to mention the two I've tried to join have not responded to my request, and it's been 7 weeks. As you probably know by now, I am not a patient person.

Grinity, we like the idea of trying out the Montessori school beginning in January. This way, we're risking 5 months rather than a full school year. The school also really encourages parent participation, and you're welcome to come to the classroom anytime you want. I like that because at the last school, even though I was the homeroom parent, I (nor other parents) were welcomed into the classroom. They looked at it like a distraction, even when they had parties. I like to go and help, get to know people, and that way I have an idea of what's REALLY going on in the classroom.

So, today, we're thinking it's worth a shot. Ds is on board, and dh and I felt really good about the school when visiting. As for the couple of bad reviews, dh thinks it boils down to a couple of disgruntled parents. Like he said, no school is going to be perfect for every child. The only way to know is to try it out.

Do you think any damage is done to gifted children, or children in general, when their school environment changes multiple times? I'm tyring to see this Montessori experience as a possible fit "for now" because I've noticed that many gifted children move around a lot from school to school/setting to setting through their school years. I feel this need to find something that will work for him FOREVER, hence homeschooling. But, what if there's something that works better for him RIGHT NOW? What do you think is more important?

Darn it! Wordy as usual!
    Jen

JenSMP #60639 11/08/09 10:50 AM
    7 weeks is too long for the homeschooling groups. I wouldn't be patient about that either. I'm betting either the groups aren't active anymore or your requests got lost. frown

Personally, I try not to think past 6 months to a year in advance for my kids because what works for them changes too fast.

I know families with HG+ kids who float between public school/private school/homeshooling as often as on a semester-by-semester basis. They have great kids who learn well and are happy--none the worse for the changes. smile If they find something that works, they stick with it, of course, but they focus on the "what works now" rather than trying to plan for high school when the kid is 5. There's just too much that is unknown about the future.

In that vein, even though we're homeschooling, I always keep my eyes open for schools that look like they would work because there's no guarantee that homeschooling will work forever for us. If nothing else, puberty often means that kids want to go back to school. We all have to be ready to adapt, I think.

IMHO, if you haven't found good social opportunities for your child, that's a significant strike against homeschooling for you. Kids do need that social time. It's usually not hard for homeschoolers to get, but it is important. If you can't find it, then you need to figure something out, one way or another.

So I guess my vote is "what works now." I think that's all you can focus on, really.

FWIW...

Kriston
    Kriston #60673 11/08/09 06:45 PM
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by JenSMP
    not to mention the two I've tried to join have not responded to my request, and it's been 7 weeks. As you probably know by now, I am not a patient person.
    You know, I'm having the same experience with the 'groups'. I'm convinced there is no group...anywhere. Well, that or they're no longer accepting applications for new homeschoolers, or they somehow know that I have no clue what I'm doing and don't want me tainting the group grin.

I think I may just have to start my own group of two...DS and me. LOL! Seriously, I'm frustrated, but I haven't totally given up yet.

Good luck with the Montessori, if that's the direction you're heading.

Originally Posted by Kriston
    7 weeks is too long for the homeschooling groups. I wouldn't be patient about that either. I'm betting either the groups aren't active anymore or your requests got lost. frown
    I thought about the request getting lost, and maybe I should send again....but they might think I'm a stalker and then they really wouldn't want me grin.

JDAx3 #60674 11/08/09 07:06 PM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    LOL! JDAx3-wish we were in the same area! Ugh!

JenSMP #60922 11/11/09 10:05 AM
    A
    A
    We're doing Montessori for our gifted DD (age 5). She just started this year in K. So far, it's going really well. I am looking forward to next year where the range of work is more appropriate in lower elementary, but this is a good year to get acustomed to the structure, pace and expectations for a montessori classroom- which are quite different from any other philosophy I've researched.
    Best of luck.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...