Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Ok. I had previously had my daughter tested in 2nd grade using the Reynolds Intellectual Assessment Scale. She scored FSIQ 140.
    Just had the Wisc IV done(start of 5th grade)
    VCI 146 99.9%
    PRI 121 92%
    WMI 107 68%
    PSI 85 16%
    FSIQ 123 94%
    GAI 140 99.6%

Her processing speed is so slow compared to everything else. It really only affects her when she has to "write". The dr. seems to think that it stems from her "ocd" and need for perfectionism. They do not think that it is a ld or sensory issue as her writing is beautiful.
    Any insight? Any ideas to help with the processing?
    Thanks.

Hi, while you wait for Dottie wink
    here is a thread to read if you haven't found this one yet...
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/38776/1.html

G
    G
    My son's scores were much like your daughters's - tested at end of 6th grade, VCI of 162 but PSI of 91. We are considering requesting an evaluation from the school to see if there is an issue that we should be addressing, and as I find out anything else I'll post on here too because there seem to be a lot of us dealing with the same issue!

Unlike your daughter, for my son handwriting does seem to be his issue - he doesn't have good handwriting, won't do cursive writing, and just doesn't enjoy it. When he can type it is much, much easier for him. Heading into the upper grades typing becomes more and more the norm, so hopefully we are heading into school years where he will have better success.

So I don't have anything to offer yet, but wanted to say hello and encourage you to post whatever you find out too! grin

Grif

B
    B
    Hi Gatorgirl,
    I'm also curious to know what you find out. My son has a low processing speed and also has had difficulties with writing, typing is a little better. He has been diagnosed with dysgraphia, even though his handwriting is not terribly messy, but your post makes me think that the PSI may explain more than I'd thought.

Benny
    B
    B
    I thought that the processing speed was supposed to be recalculated in gifted children and that was one of the main reasons that you are supposed to be tested by someone who is specifically familiar with gifted children.

B
    B
    I thought that the processing speed was supposed to be recalculated in gifted children and that was one of the main reasons that you are supposed to be tested by someone who is specifically familiar with gifted children.

Maybe this will help...

try this link and then read more below http://books.google.com/books?id=Zb...ifted%20children%20on%20WISC&f=false

The Increased Emphasis on Processing Skills Measures as Part of the FSIQ *Perhaps* the inclusion of more processing skills measures is appropriate for lower functioning children. If the child's processing speed on paper-and-pencil tasks is so slow that he or she cannot complete work in a reasonable amount of time in the classroom, processing speed may be such a limiting factor that it should be included in IQ scores. Likewise, if short-term auditory memory is so poor that the teacher's instructions can't be retained at all, this is a significant problem. However, gifted children rarely perform extremely poorly in these areas on an absolute scale. It makes much more sense to identify them as gifted based on assessments emphasizing reasoning, provide them gifted learning experiences, and then add any accommodations based on relative weaknesses to the gifted accommodations. A Full Scale IQ score that averages gifted reasoning and average processing skills fails to identify either the giftedness or the relative weaknesses.

Test authors have wrongly assumed gifted children are fast processors. Some are very quick; others are reflective or perfectionistic, slowing their speed. Gifted children also show a preference for meaningful test materials, and may not perform well on short-term memory tests or other tasks that utilize non-meaningful material. They usually perform so much better with meaningful material that their scores with non-meaningful material are difficult to interpret.

If a strand is added to an IQ test that identifies a different group as scoring the highest than was identified by the other strands, there will be a confounding of the Full Scale IQ score. The newly revised and renormed tests do exhibit confounding in the Full Scale scores (note the fact that the gifted group in the WISC-IV normative sample scored a 124.7 on Verbal Comprehension and a 120.4 on Perceptual Reasoning, but only earned a 112.5 in Working Memory and a 110.6 in Processing Speed, according to the WISC-IV Technical Manual, p. 77). Given these issues, it will be a challenge for testers of the gifted to choose tests appropriate to document gifted strengths and diagnose weaknesses, without eliminating children from gifted program entrance requirements.

G
    G
    I believe this is why where there are big discrepancies they use GAI in addition to FSIQ - it gives a picture of the kid removing the lower processing score. In our case the difference between the FSIQ and the GAI was 21 points!

Originally Posted by bh14

Great Link BH14! I even read down to the part about Ceiling on subtest, although my eyes did glaze over a bit...
    Anyway - welcome! It's great having you here. You are really well informed on Gifted, for someone who's oldest child is only in 2nd grade. Let me know when you go on tour, ok? Did you apply to Young Scholar's Program for your DD?
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Gatorgirl
    Her processing speed is so slow compared to everything else. It really only affects her when she has to "write". The dr. seems to think that it stems from her "ocd" and need for perfectionism...Any insight? Any ideas to help with the processing?
    Thanks.

If she isn't having a problem then there is probably nothing 'wrong' with being average a processing speed. The assumption that all kids are gifted is a myth, and mostly talking about Moderatly Gifted kids who don't have so much to say or think about as more unusually gifted kids. (Sure, it's a lot compared to ND kids, and still a myth, but LOG is still a new idea for most people, and not having that key piece of info confuses folks.)

Has she started to learn to keyboard? Learning to touchtype set me free to express my thoughts much closer to the rate that they occur! Really, I type faster than I talk!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    B
    Thanks Grinity smile LOL! Believe me, I have been researching this since the kid was a baby! HAHA! She had me quite stumped and just found it to be so fascinating and that I find myself having to be the one to "teach" the teachers what it means, so I am well researched and armed with information.

No, we haven't applied. We never had her take an IQ, just have all the state standardized test results (though we knew LONG before those). I could apply by portfolio, but haven't....yet wink. There is NO WAY I am having the school psych. test her as she seems a bit clueless. So... it is what it is. I have bigger fish to fry with getting her what I feel she needs in school and that's where I focus all my energy at this point. SIGH! wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM