Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 37 of 76 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 75 76
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by JJsMom
    mom2twoboys - that's great news!

DS5.5 has his first day of 1st today - I can't wait to see how it went!
    I hope he has a really good day!

J
    J
    Originally Posted by skyward
    I wanted to give an update on DD4 who started K this fall. I was pretty skeptical at first as I did not have positive school experiences. DD seems to be enjoying Kindergarten. The teacher seems to have warmed up to her a lot and the school staff seem to like her a lot.
    Sounds like she has a good teacher!

S
    S
    Mom2twoboys - So glad things are going well and that the teacher was listening and has those books in the classroom now. That is always a great sign!

JJsMom - hope DS has a great day of first today. Let us know how it goes!

skyward - sounds like things are going well for DD. Glad they are differentiating some in the classroom and that DD is happy and enjoying things. It's hard to know when to ask and how much to ask for. Sounds like they are starting slow, maybe because she is early entrance. Sometimes schools think that will be enough...and sometimes it is, but more often than not it isn't. My DS's school wanted to wait a month for him to get the routine of first down before differentiating. That would have been awful. Apparently they just started on Friday and his day was much better. Good luck this school year with DD

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Good to hear skyward!

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I don't have much time today (getting ready for month end close - yee haw), but DS5.5 had a GREAT day yesterday... the ONLY problem was the fact that when he got home, he thought I wasn't at the bus stop b/c he didn't see my car. I generally get there straight from work, but got home a little early and decided to walk to the stop. So he was worried that he'd have to have the bus driver call me or go back to school!!! Poor guy! I told him I'd never NOT drive to the bus stop again! LOL

He was very excited about his math workbook & he had math/science lab today, and they actually went out and did a real experiment (on evaporation). So the first day of 1st is 2 thumbs up for us. Let's just hope day 35 is the same! wink

S
    S
    Yay! That is a good sign. An experiment on his first day of first grade? That is awesome.

Originally Posted by shellymos
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I'm a little skeptical about the hyperfocus argument to discern between gifted and ADHD. I mean, if anyone has research statistics about 'hyperfocus' in kids with ADHD of average IQ (in families with siblings of average IQ) I would love to see those statistics, until then, forgive me if I remain close minded.

Well, being a therapist at a children's mental health clinic for several years I saw it quite often. ADHD is not about lack of being able to sustain attention, it is a disregulation of attention...I used to always hear the TV/computer argument with parents. They would say their child can't have ADHD because they can spend forever being engrossed in certain activities. They would say that their child would ignore them when the TV was on.

Hi Shelly! Great to have your experience. I've heard the 'hyperfocus' referring to TV and computer games - and I can see how that is part of ADHD. But have you seen a bunch of kids who get engrossed in 'creative' or 'non electronic' endeavors as part of the 'not gifted, ADHD' crowd? Examples of things that others have called 'signs of ADHD/hyperfocus' are:

spending a long time creating a new animal design with those little beads that you iron into plastic blobs,

drawing graph paper when he needed it for an experiment back in his dysgraphia days

Using Microsoft paint, and going pixel by pixel at age 3 to block up the wholes so that paintcan tool wouldn't spill over.

These are things he would do over and over, just once in a while, I would see signs of intensity/perfectionism that look like 'hyperfocus' to others.

Does that fit your experience?
    Thanks,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    H
    H
    I would love to add to Grinity's list:

How about hours upon hours building with Legos, looking at rocks, doodling math problems, fishing, or gathering seeds.

Does that fit?
    Thanks.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Hi Shelly! Great to have your experience. I've heard the 'hyperfocus' referring to TV and computer games - and I can see how that is part of ADHD. But have you seen a bunch of kids who get engrossed in 'creative' or 'non electronic' endeavors as part of the 'not gifted, ADHD' crowd? Examples of things that others have called 'signs of ADHD/hyperfocus' are:

spending a long time creating a new animal design with those little beads that you iron into plastic blobs,

drawing graph paper when he needed it for an experiment back in his dysgraphia days

Using Microsoft paint, and going pixel by pixel at age 3 to block up the wholes so that paintcan tool wouldn't spill over.

These are things he would do over and over, just once in a while, I would see signs of intensity/perfectionism that look like 'hyperfocus' to others.

Does that fit your experience?
    Thanks,
    Grinity

Nope, that is entirely different than what I was referring to. : )

Originally Posted by hkc75
    :

How about hours upon hours building with Legos, looking at rocks, doodling math problems, fishing, or gathering seeds.

Does that fit?

No, except maybe looking at rocks being distracted when they are supposed to be doing something else, LOL

There are so many factors to look into. I hope no one was offended by what I said, it was just my experience. I realize that it is definitely misdiagnosed at times. I was just pointing out that hyperfocusing can be a symptom of ADHD.

It is also different when a child that is completely uninterested is not focusing on an activity. You have to know the whole story and situation. I know that one of the things that DS's teacher mentioned at our last meeting was that he was "distracted" and "not focused" and wasn't "paying attention" This was the first time anyone has described those behaviors and it was clearly a product of his environment. How could he be interested or focused when listening to her teach the other kids to read and how to add single digits? I would clearly be unfocused as well.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by JJsMom
    I don't have much time today (getting ready for month end close - yee haw), but DS5.5 had a GREAT day yesterday... the ONLY problem was the fact that when he got home, he thought I wasn't at the bus stop b/c he didn't see my car. I generally get there straight from work, but got home a little early and decided to walk to the stop. So he was worried that he'd have to have the bus driver call me or go back to school!!! Poor guy! I told him I'd never NOT drive to the bus stop again! LOL

He was very excited about his math workbook & he had math/science lab today, and they actually went out and did a real experiment (on evaporation). So the first day of 1st is 2 thumbs up for us. Let's just hope day 35 is the same! wink
    Yeah for a good day!!!

Page 37 of 76 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs