Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 29 of 76 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 75 76
    Happy is a good start!

Kriston
    I
    I
    Thanks, Kriston.

Fingers crossed we stay that way. smile

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I like half-day K, absolutely! It can be a real lifesaver for a GT kid. Half a day of boredom is a lot more tolerable than a full day. I'm hoping that holds true for DS5...
    I agree with this! Oh how I wish we had half day Kindergarten smile

J
    J
    Yes. Pre-K was a good fit for both my kids even though they weren't accelerated at all. But a half-day of self-selected activities means they get more or less what they need out of it. A full day of "sit down and do what I tell you" is frustrating.

When I ask, "What did you learn today in K?' DS5 is already responding "I don't LEARN anything in K, Mommy." frown
    I get that too frown

J
    J
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    I like half-day K, absolutely! It can be a real lifesaver for a GT kid. Half a day of boredom is a lot more tolerable than a full day. I'm hoping that holds true for DS5...

So true. This year DS5 would have been starting K. It was half day in our district last year, but this year they went to full day. When they went to full day I knew he should go to first...but if it was half day, we probably would have done K and then skipped to second. We are having a meeting on Thursday in part due to DS5 acting out in his first grade class (talking out of turn, not raising his hand, not following directions). Nothing surprising I suppose based on how simple a lot of the stuff is, but it's hard because it's still not appropriate behavior. DS says he likes school (mostly lunch, recess, and gym), but he just started talking to me about how hard it is to sit through single digit addition and watching the teacher teach other kids how to read. He says that he hasn't even read in class yet. That's pretty sad because he really enjoys reading. Thankfully the psychologist who tested him will be coming to our meeting to advocate for his needs too. They have done no subject acceleration as they were waiting for behaviors to improve and wanted to wait a month for him to adjust to the routine. LOL, some people are well intended but just don't get it. Anyhow, I am thankful we will now have support through DYS and the psychologist/educational consultant that tested DS5 because I think we are going to need it.
    UGH! Sounds like us...can't the teachers see that part of the behavior problems are due to them being so bored? Good luck at your meeting!

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Irisheyes
    I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts. Keep 'em coming!

I wanted to update you on our situation.

As you may remember, dd5 is in a private, gifted school.

I had great fears over the summer that dd would be silly or otherwise "throw" the kindergarten placement screening. It appears my fears were unfounded.

The differentiation has already begun in reading and math. All I know is that she is in the "most challenging" math group according to her teacher. And that her reading group consists of only two children (there are six different, ability-grouped reading groups in her class of 20 kids). We got a note from the teacher saying while other parents may be discussing sight word lists, there was no need to send any home for dd5 because she was, "...reading above the 2nd grade level." So that seems promising.

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure that dd is being "challenged" yet. I think she can do more than she's being asked to in both reading and math. But she seems happy and since we're less than a month into the school year, so am I.
    That's so good that the teacher at least realizes that your daughter is way above the normal level. And it's great that she's happy smile

J
    J
    Well last week was a bad week. Bad, bad, bad. We got notes sent home every single day.

I do think that DS might have a touch of ADD but I'm still not sure. I attribute a lot of it to him being bored and to his mind running so fast with nothing to focus it on. I think that if he had more challenging work his brain would at least have something to focus on.

K
    K
    I'm so glad to hear some of our kindergarteners are doing so well.

I'm feeling frustrated and have to remind myself this is only the second full week. As far as I can tell the teacher is unaware that he can read let alone that he can read at a much higher level. There was a fun event last week and when we went to play bingo she commented how it would be good practice for letters and numbers. I was rather shocked especially since this is the same teacher that I spoke with about his reading long before we enrolled in the school. I'm hoping it was just an auto response after a long week. The reason I chose the school and went with the all day program is because I believed they could differientiate, now I'm not so sure.

He has the NWEA testing this week and conferences not long after so I'm hoping to see how that goes and to learn something soon. He also does well at math although he's not as far ahead. I was also disappointed to learn there's no real science in kindergarten, this is my kid who loves science.

I do want to see what they say, my hope is that he can just skip kidnergarten reading and go to science in another grade. I feel at a total loss especially since I don't have an assessment, just my observations. DS loves school, like another posted mentioned he'll happily sit there and relearn something he's known for years. He has a hard time challenging himself, he always says he's not good at something, he gets frustrated with the learning stage.

Last edited by Kareninminn; 09/21/09 06:24 PM.
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by Kareninminn

I'm feeling frustrated and have to remind myself this is only the second full week. As far as I can tell the teacher is unaware that he can read let alone that he can read at a much higher level. There was a fun event last week and when we went to play bingo she commented how it would be good practice for letters and numbers. I was rather shocked especially since this is the same teacher that I spoke with about his reading long before we enrolled in the school. I'm hoping it was just an auto response after a long week. The reason I chose the school and went with the all day program is because I believed they could differientiate, now I'm not so sure.

He has the NWEA testing this week and conferences not long after so I'm hoping to see how that goes and to learn something soon. He also does well at math although he's not as far ahead. I was also disappointed to learn there's no real science in kindergarten, this is my kid who loves science.

I do want to see what they say, my hope is that he can just skip kidnergarten reading and go to science in another grade. I feel at a total loss especially since I don't have an assessment, just my observations. DS loves school, like another posted mentioned he'll happily sit there and relearn something he's known for years. He has a hard time challenging himself, he always says he's not good at something, he gets frustrated with the learning stage.
    Would the school board test him for gifted now?

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Jamie B
    Originally Posted by Kareninminn

Would the school board test him for gifted now?

I don't know if they'll test under any circumstance. It's a small charter and I don't know if they can. I'm considering private pay but would rather not go out of pocket for the first round. I could pull him and put him in the local public but I wasn't thrilled with what they did either, it's why I decided to try someplace like this.

It is possible they'll be able to handle it, I am impatient, it has been a worry for a long time and I want to get him in a position where he'll start to challenge himself.

Page 29 of 76 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM