Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 377 guests, and 39 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 25 of 76 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 75 76
    Originally Posted by Jamie B
    I actually took DS to a psychologist last week and got some private testing done but don't have the results yet. I'm not sure how he did because he gets silly sometimes. I also took him to his pediatrician who said that he thinks that his behavior problems are the result of him being so bored. I am thinking that maybe I can bring the test results and a letter from his pediatrician to his school and see if they'll work with me.

I think that's a great plan. I think it's a hard concept to explain to the teachers (I was told never to use the word "bored.") Hopefully it will help if the school gets something official from medical professionals explaining his behavior.

Sciencemama - It sounds like your DD has a great teacher and environment. I hope the year continues to go well.

I hope that he starts to like it more!

Although I didn't expect my kid to be excited about kindergarten, it was hard to talk to some of my mom friends about how their kids liked kindergarten and hear "Oh, he can't stop talking about it and can't wait to go back." I would love to be able to say that someday.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Got DS5's first projects back on Friday. One was a picture of himself and his dog. Me: "Why did you give yourself a frowny face?" DS5: "Because it is a school day." I won't read too much into it yet.

Not trying to analyze too much...but you know this is my field and what I do. Maybe the dog was sad on a school day because he was going to miss your DS. DS didn't have a frown on : )

I
    I
    Originally Posted by JamieB
    How did all of you get the schools to let them skip K?
    We paid for a private Woodcock Johnson achievement test for DD5 and gave the principal the results last spring. The principal offered to grade skip but we asked to try subject acceleration first because of DD5's asynchronous behavior. DD5 goes to 1st grade in the morning for reading & math. She's with her K class in the afternoon for lunch, recess & specials (art, PE, music, computer, science, library). So far this seems to be going well and the aggravation we've saved has offset the expense of testing. With DD7 we waited for the school to do the testing and that was an exercise in frustration.

Last edited by inky; 09/14/09 08:45 AM.
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    Got DS5's first projects back on Friday. One was a picture of himself and his dog. Me: "Why did you give yourself a frowny face?" DS5: "Because it is a school day." I won't read too much into it yet.

Not trying to analyze too much...but you know this is my field and what I do. Maybe the dog was sad on a school day because he was going to miss your DS. DS didn't have a frown on : )

Well, the dog actually had a smiley face. DS had a frowny face. I'll ask him why the dog was smiling! Oh, and he had another frowny face on some workbook page where he was supposed to draw a picture of how he felt.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 09/14/09 08:50 AM.
    S
    S
    Well, the dog actually had a smiley face. DS had a frowny face. I'll ask him why the dog was smiling! Oh, and he had another frowny face on some workbook page where he was supposed to draw a picture of how he felt.

LOL, well there goes my theory right out the window. Maybe the dog is mad at DS and looking forward to some alone time : ) It's strange...sometimes the faces mean something and sometimes they don't. Sometimes that is how they feel during that activity...not implying that is how they feel about school. DS5 has never drawn a sad face...but I know he has been sad before. Everyone is always SUPER happy...even when he has to make something he doesn't want to. So you really just don't know.

I knew there were issues when my then DS5 drew a picture of the school building on fire! Didn't have to analyze that one too much to figure out how he was feeling....

Crisc
    S
    S
    That's great Sciencemama!! So is her anxiety getting better?

What is selective mutism?

selective mutism is a severe social anxiety disorder causing a person who normally can speak in places of comfort (like at home), reflexively shut down their speech in places of discomfort (like at school or in front of strangers). This goes beyond ordinary shyness/slow to warm up behavior. While most traditionally shy children might spend up to a month in a school setting being very quiet, they eventually relax and start talking.

The selectively mute child simply can not. They want to, but they can't bring themselves to speak. It persists beyond the first month, and without proper assistance, it can persist into adulthood.

It is basically a function of an improperly resolved primitive reflex - the fight/flight or freeze response. Most babies Moro Reflex and a little known Fear Paralysis Reflex gets integrated into the background. For those with selective mutism, it does not. The child feels "all eyes" are on them, and there is a high sense of "if I do something they will laugh at me" feeling. My daughter wanted to speak at times, but told me that "the words were there but wouldn't come out".

Oftentimes, selectively mute children have higher than average intellect. I believe in part because they are so "switched on" to the world, nothing gets past, and because of asynchronous development - the cognitive abilities far surpass the emotional ones. There is usually a co-existing sensory processing issue as well - again, too switched on to the sensations coming in, increases anxiety.

In case anyone would want to read about her journey, it's here

Our Daughter's Selective Mutism Journey - the summary

I blogged about it in order to help others. I think it has helped some parents cope and understand things a little better.

Her social anxiety is pretty much gone after all we've done. Now she just has generalized anxiety - mostly about bad dreams and monsters.

Last edited by Sciencemama; 09/15/09 06:53 AM.
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by Sciencemama
    That's great Sciencemama!! So is her anxiety getting better?

What is selective mutism?

selective mutism is a severe social anxiety disorder causing a person who normally can speak in places of comfort (like at home), reflexively shut down their speech in places of discomfort (like at school or in front of strangers). This goes beyond ordinary shyness/slow to warm up behavior. While most traditionally shy children might spend up to a month in a school setting being very quiet, they eventually relax and start talking.

The selectively mute child simply can not. They want to, but they can't bring themselves to speak. It persists beyond the first month, and without proper assistance, it can persist into adulthood.

It is basically a function of an improperly resolved primitive reflex - the fight/flight or freeze response. Most babies Moro Reflex and a little known Fear Paralysis Reflex gets integrated into the background. For those with selective mutism, it does not. The child feels "all eyes" are on them, and there is a high sense of "if I do something they will laugh at me" feeling. My daughter wanted to speak at times, but told me that "the words were there but wouldn't come out".

Oftentimes, selectively mute children have higher than average intellect. I believe in part because they are so "switched on" to the world, nothing gets past, and because of asynchronous development - the cognitive abilities far surpass the emotional ones. There is usually a co-existing sensory processing issue as well - again, too switched on to the sensations coming in, increases anxiety.

In case anyone would want to read about her journey, it's here

Our Daughter's Selective Mutism Journey - the summary

I blogged about it in order to help others. I think it has helped some parents cope and understand things a little better.

Her social anxiety is pretty much gone after all we've done. Now she just has generalized anxiety - mostly about bad dreams and monsters.

That's got to be so hard. I'm going look at your blog in a minute. Does she talk a little in school?

J
    J
    Well this year is still getting worse.

The last two days he got notes home from the teacher. He's running and skipping in the classroom and constantly talking to himself. Today the teacher took most of his recess away and said he was better after that. He's now telling me that he doesn't like school anymore frown I was so optimistic about this year and as the days go by I get more and more negative. I feel like I'll never find a good fit for him.

Page 25 of 76 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM