Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Nautigal #55398 09/14/09 07:16 PM
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by gratified3
    I suspect that this will be an ongoing process for this kid all through school as his natural pace is speedy and he resents and resists slowing down.

I describe myself as not having a slow setting.

As for DS9, I think the carelessness is partially a function of age. I'm trying to give him specific suggestions that will help him slow down (see my last post in this thread) such as "Check signs as the last thing!" I hope this approach will slow him down without revealing that it's slowing him down, if you see what I mean....

Val

gratified3 #55412 09/14/09 10:50 PM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by gratified3
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    Nearly every mistake so far this year (only 3 weeks, but lots of work) has been due to carelessness. Frustrating.
    I have a kid who is, by nature, way, way speedy. It's almost painful for him to slow himself down...
    I think we could switch kids and not know the difference.

Tonight he was practicing a new scale on the piano. Naturally, he attacks it with the same top speed he uses for scales he already knows -- with the expected noisy results.

"Okay, son... if you just slow it down -- even a teeny, tiny bit -- you'll play it through without mistakes and you'll be done with that scale for tonight."

"OK."

!ZOOM! (Cacophony of errors; cats dancing on the piano, etc...)

"Son... IF YOU WILL JUST SLOW IT DOWN..."

!ZOOM! (Cacophony redux ...)

"SON!!! SLOW DOWN! ..."

!ZOOM! (Ditto...)

Ad nauseum.

And either he relents, slows down & nails it... or he gets just enough practice through the above iterations... and nails it anyhow (accompanied by a very smug "Neener-neener!" on his face).

Every once in awhile, when he's not really paying attention, he accidentally slows down and is done with a given section on the 1st or 2nd attempt. When I try to point out what just occurred -- and how it might be in his best interest to duplicate this approach -- he looks at me like I'm a talking dog or something. Drives me up the flipping wall.

To his much-deserved credit, he's really improved his patience when it comes to tearing apart a new song section by section, measure by measure. Without exaggeration, it nearly brings a tear to my eye watching him methodically work through difficult passages with determination I previously thought to be impossible.

So maybe there's hope for the Speedy Gonzales gene, too.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Nautigal #55426 09/15/09 07:35 AM
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    I always did the outline and rough draft after I was done with the paper....

Ha! Me too.

JJsMom #55454 09/15/09 12:56 PM

Try this from my Army days:

Slow is Smooth.

Smooth is Fast.

This comment:

The "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" saying has its origins in the military. With that context the meaning is fairly obvious: moving fast, or rushing it, is reckless and will likely get you killed. If you move slowly, carefully and deliberate however, you are really moving as fast as you can without needlessly increasing the risk on your life. (Or that you will get it wrong.)

Austin #55455 09/15/09 01:09 PM
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Austin

Slow is Smooth.

Smooth is Fast.

An equivalent statement applies to getting from point A to point B when you aren't familiar with the terrain:

"The long way is usually the quick way."

Val

Val #55471 09/15/09 02:15 PM
    Isa Offline
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by Austin

Slow is Smooth.

Smooth is Fast.

An equivalent statement applies to getting from point A to point B when you aren't familiar with the terrain:

"The long way is usually the quick way."

Val

In Spanish, we have to similar statements:

'Cuando el Rey tiene prisa, le dice a su mayordomo: Visteme despacio que tengo prisa'
    = 'When the King is in a hurry, he says to his majordomo: Dress me slowly that I am in a hurry.'

and

'No hay atajo sin trabajo.' = 'There is no short-cut without (extra/hard) work'.

About homework: I live in The Netherlands and kids here do not get any homework until they are 10 and then it is just once or twice in a while.

At earlier ages the most they get is a recommendation for parents to practice a little at home.

I personally like that.

In secondary school they get quite some homework though but I do not have yet direct experience.

Dandy #55577 09/16/09 12:27 PM
    Well Dandy if you ever figure it out let me know as well! I hear the same thing every year from every teacher...he needs to slow down, he rushes, he makes silly mistakes. The worse thing is that the school/teacher often takes it as a sign that he needs to work on the basics...AGH!!!!!!!!

marieg #55579 09/16/09 01:05 PM
    Originally Posted by marieg
    It got really challenging really quickly (and not everything was an automatic 100% every time!) but I think in some ways that is a good thing. When you get 5/10 on an assignment because you blew through the homework and didn't really READ the instructions is a mistake she has remembered!
    And way better to learn this lesson in middle school where the grades don't 'really' count than in High School or College!

LOL - I just read ahead and saw your post about Aleks!
    Over the years, I would say that it has generalized somewhat, as long as we keep DS within his 'readiness level' - if the work drops below it, then forgettaboutit. Also, DS13 now has external motivators - like the desire to get into a fancy collge even though his mom thinks the local State University is just as good, and a much better value - that are making DS really generalize that lesson throughout his schoolwork. Personal mentors and favorite teachers that your child wants to impress might be a different external motivator.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Still ((hugs)) it's a tough transition!
    Grinity

Last edited by Grinity; 09/16/09 01:11 PM. Reason: hadn't read the whole thread!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Dandy #55580 09/16/09 01:07 PM
    [If some creative teacher can find a way to teach our son to slow down just a tiny bit -- and pay attention to details, instructions, etc -- he'll be unstoppable. .. I just haven't figured out a way to get him to hit the brakes.

Aleks.com got the message through to my DS for the first time...3 practice problems if you get them perfect, 10 if you make a silly error!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #55626 09/16/09 09:02 PM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    [If some creative teacher can find a way to teach our son to slow down just a tiny bit -- and pay attention to details, instructions, etc -- he'll be unstoppable. .. I just haven't figured out a way to get him to hit the brakes.
    Aleks.com got the message through to my DS for the first time...3 practice problems if you get them perfect, 10 if you make a silly error!

Yes! Aleks.com is the best "teacher" in that regard, and DS magically discovered he could get done more quickly... by *gasp!* slowing down a little.

If only ALEKS taught language arts, or some of the other drudgery that results in 20-30 "problems" of an identical nature. Last year's teacher finally let me pare down the number of worksheet problems based on my guess as to how many DS really needed. Will definitely be approaching this teacher soon.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM