Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    O
    O
    MY DS9 is really not liking his cursive writing. He keeps asking why do I have to do this? Why Can't everyone in the world just print?

I explained Printing is important for forms and applications. Cursive writing, once learned well, is very fast. Everyone has to do some subjects they don't like. Please understand, they feel this is important and good for you. I'm sorry you don't like it it will get better. I'm sure it's fustrating right now because your hand is slower than your brain. Keep working at it and enjoy your progress.

I feel like these wonderful words of wisdom are not enough. Does Anybody know of a way this work can become more meaningful? less stressful? Most of his school is very easy and I think it's good he is learning to deal with something difficult. Maybe I shouldn't be trying to fix this for him - just let him deal???? This could also be some displaced feelings which makes it seem bigger than it is. I don't think of him as a kid who is afraid of a challenge or working hard. I'm sure school is hard because he is reviewing more than he needs even though the teacher has made some efforts with him inmind.
    I was wanting to write a note to the teacher but I've already written 2 this year. I'm trying to not write too many notes.

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/18/09 10:24 AM.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    FUNNY SPELL CHECK
    Eye halve a spelling chequer ...

Too funny.

I had to lay down the law in our house -- no use of spell-checkers for the kids. DS was using one in MS-Word a few months back -- adding all sorts of crazy character names to our dictionary -- so I just disabled it altogether.

Not a crutch I need him relying on just yet, in part because of the ensuing hilarity described by your joke!

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Dandy #55816 09/18/09 10:38 AM
    R
    R
    Does he have any problems with his fine motor skills? Does he use a pen/pencil he is comfortable with? eg http://www.staedtler.co.uk/learners_fountain_pen_uk.Staedtler?ActiveID=121311

Raddy #55821 09/18/09 11:03 AM
    O
    O
    he has no motor skills problems. very skilled with legos, cutting, art, drawing, ect.

T
    T
    Hi onthegomom.
    Thanks for the typing website.
    I was wondering how to teach him.

T
    T
    First time here, and I am so thankful to find all of you! My son is totally reluctant and had been for going on 2yrs now! I finally feel like he will get through this! he has had teachers for 2 years now who just don't get it, and my frustration is through the roof! I can only imagine what he feels! I am so happy to have found this group of people! Hopefully you will be able to help in many areas, glad there are people who understand!

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    tcbysmom - Welcome. How old is your son and what grade is he in?

GM5 #62559 11/30/09 12:13 PM
    T
    T
    Another idea for the fast thinkers. There is dictation software on the market today. The kind that types as you talk. If your child is reluctant to write because they think too fast, this might help. If the child can see on paper what their story is like. It might give him/her the confidence to write on their own.

As your child reads the story they may even come up with better or more detailed ideas.

Just a theory.

L
    L
    My DD8 is a voracious reader, so it was a surprise to us all that she is only an average writer, only writing a few sentences in her class journal each day, and rarely coming up with any creative stories.

Finally, I gave her a mini-seminar in story structure (the kind adults who want to write movies take). I explained to her about the "hero's journey", how he/she receives the "call to adventure", takes on "mentors and allies", enters a second worlds, must confront "trials and progressive complications", confronts his/her worst enemy, and emerges back into the first world with the prize.

She IMMEDIATELY got this, and wrote a three-page story very enthusiastically. Her teacher just told me she is writing voluminously in her journal. Typical of my daughter that once she understands theory, she will proceed -- but not before. I should have taught her story structure sooner.

The book is "The Writer's Journey" by Christopher Vogler, or you can get Joseph Campbell's books about heros out of the library.

O
    O
    that is awesome what a great way to get things rolling

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent