Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 109 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #53069 08/20/09 10:26 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Everyone please read the following:

I was online today with EPGY and am now able to make student changes! I would like everyone to be aware of a few things that have changed on the system.

All children have been changed are are now listed under reinforcement, which means that there will be more detailed instruction given for all areas of instruction in math. If this is a problem for your individual child over the next few course log-ins please contact me and I will be able to change the individual child.

Tunes have now been added to all math programing. If this is a problem for the student it can be turned off individually.

Exams can be turned on for the end of each grade level, this will be individual choice. Contact me if you would like your child to complete the end of grade exams and I will enable it.

Individual course login session times can be changed to meet your individual child's needs. Contact me if you need this changed. The setting is enabled for 10-60 minutes.

There will be more courses added in the near future to the open enrollment program! Yeah! Particularly for the Introductory Algebra which will benefit many of us in the future. I also discovered that CTY uses the EPGY program under their heading. smile

Please email me directly with all course change requests under the subject 'EPGY course change request'. My email volume is very heavy right now and this will allow me to pick out your request. I am expecting many requests so please be patient I will get to them asap.

Thank you to this forun for allowing us to put this together for the benefit of all forum members who are interested in EPGY!

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    W
    W
    Thanks again, Melissa!

Q
    Q
    Thank you!

Thank you-- I sent an e-mail with changes. smile

Crisc
    R
    R
    thank you melissa
    i have to say i am increasingly impressed with this system. - so far its a great fit for my 2E reluctant math kid who is verbally gifted and has speed issues. He thinks the folksy sounding guy is his real teacher and wants to do good work for him.. The little music that plays now he just loves..and as i mentioned in another thread, he does all his EPGY while sitting on an exercise ball and he hops up and down when he gets an answer right. I am a little nervous about what will happen when he reaches the timed drills but we'll cross that bridge...

My younger child is just going into kindergarden and likes it too- the fact that i accidentally started her as a second grader is a real eye opener for me as she seems to be able to do just about everything (except subtraction equations - fillingin number that is not the answer- which exposes a gap i had't even considered).

But it does make me wonder.. should i back up my going-into-K DD5 to give her a higher level of success? She is doing 1.7 with about 88% accuracy. But she is taking a long time to answer the questions that require exposure to math facts, and she is not liking it as much. I am wondering how far it will "back up" on its own for her if she starts strugglign as the numbers get higher, due to lack of memorization..if it automatically backs up as her scores go down, i'll leave well enough alone. any insight appreciated.

irene

Melissa,

I remember vaguely the thread going around about the EPGY group. What is required for us to participate(assuming that is still possible)?

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Irene,
    I PM'd you about the math races. If you see your DD struggling or frustrated then I would suggest backing her up. The system will eventually force her to continue to review until she masters that area, which may be very frustrating for her at her age. I would look through the grade level contents here http://epgy.stanford.edu/courses/math/M00A/index.html?grade1.html
    and see where it would be best to place her. You don't want her discouraged to the point she doesn't want to work on the program. Just email me with any change requests. smile

Last edited by melmichigan; 08/24/09 08:15 AM.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Breakaway4

The original thread is here http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....50583/Interested_in_group.html#Post50583

All the information is there. If you are interested then just follow the instructions in the thread and I will work to get you set up.

W
    W
    Do you know what new courses will be added to the Open Enrollment? My son does EPGY through his school.

Thanks!

Is anyone doing the LAW? My daughter likes it, but is finding it repetitive - We have heard what "detail sentences" are at least 5 times now. It seems like the same lectures play over and over again. Also, it is a bit tough because sometimes when she clicks on an answer, it is highlighted - but other times there is no highlighting and it is hard to tell if any answer has been selected.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM