Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    C
    C
    We looked at Dawson a few year back b/c they, too, have some financial aid, but it would have been quite a commute for us (we're north a ways). Also, I was unimpressed with a few things: I don't like Everyday Math and neither do dds, which is what they use; the guy who gave us a tour told me that all of the kids wound up in the same spot academically by the end of the school year b/c they did such a good job of getting everyone above grade level which seemed very improbable to me; and they seemed to just have a lot of extra worksheets in the room for kids who were ahead with the assumption that the brighter kids would be the faster workers and they could just give them extra work -- that isn't the case for my kids who work differently not just faster and don't appreciate extra work.

We have no GT programming at all where we live except for some minimal pull-out classes starting in 4th in most of the local schools and in class grouping which isn't much help when you are the only kid in the class who falls at a certain point in terms of ability. We did wind up grade skipping our oldest to middle school this past year and have been happier with the acceleration options in middle school. I have been jealous of the GT charters and programs in the Denver area, but if you can't get in, I guess that they aren't doing what you all need!

M
    M
    We are in Adams 12, and will be going to Westgate for K. We feel very lucky, as we got into both Stargate and Westgate so we had choices. I personally felt like Westgate will be a much better choice for our DS, who is an "out-of-the-box" type kid. Stargate was very snooty and bugged me a lot. I am a teacher in BVSD (and therefore get enrollment preference) but never even considered Peak 2 Peak as I also believe it would not be a great fit for DS. I really hope Westgate will turn out. There are only supposed to be 14 kids in the K class and only 2 are girls! I think Westgate will be accepting out of district students and in district students may not even get preference. I know at first grade class size will increase to 24, so there is a chance your DD might get in next year. For K they are now full with a long waiting list.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Cricket, I am sure that Alexander Dawson does quite a lot of cherry picking of students, so they would probably be very bright overall. But, as you said, it seems doubtful that they would all be at the same level at the end of the year. To me, that indicates that either their students are very homogeneous or the gifted ones aren't being given enough opportunities to grow. And heaping more work on gives no incentive for completing work faster. I know my DD would object to 'more of the same'. Well now I don't feel so badly that I don't have $17K a year for school. wink

We are not in Denver either. It seems there are many more choices down there.

Mom2boys, I will definitely have to look further at Westgate! It would be a bit of a drive, but doable. It sounds like they need more girls. smile Do you have any insight as to how they are choosing the children? Is it first come first served on the wait list, or are they looking for the higher IQs, etc?

Since you are a teacher, you will have much better insight into what would be good school choices than we would. We are sadly lacking in knowledge there. Maybe I am gullible, but I always seem to be swayed by the fancy presentations. smirk Could you please share your thoughts of peak 2 peak and why it wouldn't be a good fit for your DS? Also, are there any other good GT schools in the BVSD? We have considered moving up there, assuming (perhaps erroneously) that the higher socioeconomic level of the area would translate into more GT friendly schools.

How do you learn about the good GT schools of an area when no one you know is even considering them? Its the old problem of "you don't know what you don't know".

Thanks!
    Dawn

S
    OP Offline
    S
    I'm just giving this thread a little bump in case anyone out there might be willing to share more advice. wink

M
    M
    We were there for 8 years with both of our sons. The school is a disaster right now---I believe there are maybe 10 - if that students enrolled for the fall. Our first few years at the school were wonderful, since then, the school has been going downhill. The website is not accurate, at all. We spent the past year under threats of closure with the school spending out notices they were closing mid year. Parents are very unhappy with the education there, thus the reason why the school is a disaster. This year the school started with maybe 75 students, by the end of the year, there were about 37 left. All disgruntled parents with the education. Not sure if they are even opening in the fall.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi Mnsell, Thanks so much for your response! That sounds like a huge mess! What a bummer! Their website made them sound pretty good.

Can you suggest any other schools in the denver metro area to consider?

M
    M
    It really depends what you are looking for - I can only answer accurately from our experience as opposed to hearsay about other schools.
    Our oldest (starting college in August) was VERY difficult to place - went to Stargate for 4 years....Stargate is an ACCERATED school, NOT a GIFTED school. RMS was our savior school for 4 years. High School was a disaster - tried 2 different ones and then he ended up failing out (he already had a high school curriculum at RMS) and took his GED last year. Failed out of high school, but aced the GED....

Our youngest....every different creature....more well rounded, extremely social, loves sports and VERY adaptable. He went to RMS for grades 1-5 and will start at Dawson for 6th grade this fall which seems like a good fit for him.

Other good schools...lots of former RMS parents are homeschooling, many are trying the public middle schools this year in Boulder County. For elementary some are going to Niwot Elem., BCSIS, Boulder Country Day. For middle, many RMS kids are going to Summit, Manhatten Middle, Boulder Country Day.
    Hope this helps.....

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Mnsell, That does help, thank you! I am new to the gifted world, and I'm not sure I understand your distinction about Stargate being an accelerated school, not gifted. Could you please elaborate? Do you mean that it is not individualized enough? Or friendly to kids falling outside the moderately gifted range? I do know some parents who were trying to get their kids in there for status reasons rather than real gifted educational needs.

Have you heard any feedback at all about Peak 2 Peak?

Thanks,
    Dawn

M
    M
    I have some students at Peak 2 Peak and at Hulstrom. I've heard good things about both, but cannot speak from my own experience. I've also heard mixed about Aspen Creek and good things about Friends, Ricks and Logan School.
    Stargate being an accelerated school....With up to 26 kids in a class and 1 teacher, it is very difficult to individualize instruction and have individual learning plans. Stargate, like most of the public schools in CO, almost exclusively teaches to the all important CSAP exams. The time element alone, does not allow for any differentied curriculum, challenge and creativity that many of these gifted kids need. Also, Stargate has a difficult time holding on to directors - most don't stay for longer than a year...I think they are on their 14th one.....
    What both of my sons were taught at RMS (except this past year) was amazing! Much depends upon the teacher. I was once told by an educator....a school is only as good as its teachers and director.

Apparently there is a law that says the public schools can no longer discriminate - and they are not allowed to admit students by test scores and must use a lottery system for ANYONE who wants to go there. I know this is the issue with Westgate - it was designed for twice exceptional, BUT anyone can go there. It is now a lottery system. Not sure what Stargate is currently doing in regard to this law.
    Let me know if I can help in any other way.

PS. Most importantly for the younger grades, the smaller classes of a private school I feel are very benefical. You are treated as a person and not as a number. Dawson seems to do this very well - making each kid (and family) feel special as did RMS - but that's what you pay the big bucks for......

C
    C
    Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that things have gone so downhill at RMS. I can't imagine how they are going to stay open if they only have approx. 10 students!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM