Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    F
    F
    MY dd took the Kauf. brief test at 5 and a full scale at 6 she was 22 points higher on the full scale. I think some of the variance was due to age and maturity, and some because brief tests are more limited. Her tests were done at school.

I have heard that children tend to score the highest in the 5-7 age bracket, but every child and every test is different.

It depends.

Kids who score high but who started with a low-quality curriculum will score higher once they go into a high quality education environment.

If they already have a maxed out environment, then I would not expect to see much of a change.

Test anxiety may also be a factor to bump up scores.

SAT and ACT do correlate to IQ, all things being equal, but you need time to work things out you do not know - esp on the harder questions in the math and verbal sections.

C
    C
    Our daughter took the WIPSI at barely age 4..then the Stanford Binet 4th edition a few weeks later. 8 points higher on SB. Then again at age 6 and 8yrs...only on SB 5 leveling out at 16 points higher than that first test.
    They are not the same and the SB does not penalize for processing speed.
    Maturity can matter. The type of test/strengths of child can influence a score.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Another thought I had on this topic...

I know of 2 boys who were tested early and scored in the NG range. They enjoyed the pull out gifted program at their elementary school for several years, but then around 4th grade stopped doing classwork and started failing (or maybe getting Ds). One mom was beside herself because she said all he wants to do is read and she didn't want him to be penalized by taking his books away. I suggested she have him re-tested because it sounded like he was bored stiff. His retest had a 15 pt jump in IQ! Enough to qualify for self-contained program. The exact same thing happened to another friend, though her son only had a couple months in the PEGS class before going to middle school.

Both boys tested initially at about 6 and retested at about age 10.

R
    R
    not sure if i should start a new thread, but wondering if anyone else has ever seen a FSIQ jump in the neighborhood of 30 points from WPPSI to WISC.. even though test conditions were near perfect both times.

The first time was at age 4.6 and we observed the whole WPPSI thru a two-way mirror and thought he performed great (for him). I believe his highest score on the WPPSI was a 10 and most were 7-8 range..His FSIQ was in the mid 80s which we were actually thrilled with because his score on the Bayley Scales at age 2 estimated his IQ at 50-60...

Then at age 7.0 he scored 30 points higher on the WISC-IV. with some subtest scores actually doubling or more..vocabulary and picture concepts were at ceiling on WISC (19 and 18)..Processing speed not great though..so FSIQ 119 and GAI 138.. Since his development has been so fluid during this time, definitely a late-blooming gifted child... wondering if anyone else has seen thsi with their kids and whether we should expect the trend to continue, putting him in a HG or PG range within the next couple years (joining his little sister who is HG+). He has a lot of HG characteristics and appears twice-exceptional now, but the disability piece seems to be vanishing before our eyes, with each day bringing amazement to us as we watch him change.

Also if anyone knows of any studies of changability of IQ scores, pls. let me know.. would love to read.

irene

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...