Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    L
    L
    My 11 year old son always wanted to solve problems using mental math instead of writing them out because columns caused him so much trouble. He has motor dyspraxia and dysgraphia. One of his biggest difficulties is with columns. He has difficulty keeping them straight when he writes out multi-digit multiplication and division problems and now I realize he even has trouble sometimes telling when numbers or musical notes are lined up vertically, especially when he is tired. His piano teacher often has to highlight the notes that are played together because he has this difficulty. It is one of the reasons he needs to take a break after about 15 minutes, rest his eyes, and then work on it again.

When he was seven, a developmental pediatrician noticed a problem with his vision and I remember it had something to do with accommodation. She said she thought it might be the reason he wouldn't read more than a paragraph or two without resting his eyes. He also skipped lines when he read. He could easily read a paragraph from a magazine like Newsweek at age 7 and did this in the optometrist's office, but he had to keep his finger underneath the words and when his eyes got tired after that one paragraph he wouldn't read any more. His therapy was having him read while using flipper glasses that were supposed to help him read for longer periods and it did help a little. Instead of a paragraph, he could read a page without his eyes getting tired. Then the optometrist said there was nothing more he could do for him so vision therapy stopped.

I am going to see if I can get a referral to see another developmental optometrist. My son used the vision training game on his Nintendo DS but it didn't seem to help with his particular issues.

Last edited by Lori H.; 07/16/09 08:29 AM.
    L
    lilglik Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Renie 1-
    My son had lazy eye (strabismus) surgery twice. Although he now looks like he is looking at you correctly, his brain likes to use one eye at a time.
    Tons of children and even adults have undiagnosed eye issues that have nothing to do with their 'vision'. My son has 20/20 vision, it is his brain that is not able to pull the two images from his eyes together to make one 3-D image. His eyes can't seem to pull both images together (which gives people depth perception) at the same time. It would be like us seeing two of everything (double vision). His brain decides it doesn't like that, so it shuts off one eye at a time as to not have double vision. It therefore takes away his depth perception. It also causes the problems with his school work, even though mentally he is gifted. It leaves gaps between letters on a page when writing because as we look out one eye at a time, the image we see is in a slightly different place than the other eye's image. Most people can automatically pull those two images together, but in my son's case, he can't most of the time. My son is a great compensator for this, even though he doesn't realize it. He constantly says he doesn't understand his math papers at school, so the teacher will tell him to read it out loud. When he does, he immediately gets it and can whip out the page. He is changing his visual processing into an auditory process to compensate. He is completely unaware that he does that. There are tons of tests they can do at a vision therapy place that will tell you if your kid has any eye problems like tracking etc that is causing the processing speed to be slow. The vision therapist we just went to for testing says the tests he did on my son are the ones that are used in the NFL every year. They track the eyes, etc. to see how quickly they can read, to see if they stay together, etc. The NFL uses the scores from the players to know their acuity, how quickly they can pick up the ball moving with their eyes etc.

Here is what one vision website says about just ONE problem associated with vision (but there are many):

Binocular Fusion

Binocular fusion refers to the brain's ability to gather information received from each eye separately and form a single, unified image. A child's eyes must be precisely aligned or blurred or double vision, discomfort, confusion or avoidance may result.

If that occurs, the brain often subconsciously suppresses or inhibits the vision in one eye to avoid confusion. That eye may then develop poorer visual acuity (amblyopia or lazy eye).

I would google Vision therapy or start here:
    http://www.covd.org/

If you look at the list of options on the left of the homepage it has a link to Vision and Learning. It is very informative. It even explains the correlation of ADHD symptoms with eye issues.
    My son's teachers kept telling me my son had ADD/ADHD. He had full testing twice and he tests better than 97% on focusing ability etc. He does NOT have ADHD. Kids with vision issues have similar symptoms.

Good luck!!!

L
    lilglik Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Lori,
    A friend of mine just told me a brilliant idea that someone she knows uses for her son. He has problem with the lining up of the math columns. The teacher allows him to use a lined notebook for math and he turns it on it's side. He uses the notebook page lines for separating the numbers into columns. Isn't that a brilliant idea?? I hope to use that in school this year for my son.

Lilglik, In other countries, students use grid paper for doing math. I use Rightstart Math for my kids, and math is done on grid paper. You make a notebook for each kid. I think it works well. You can also buy grid paper notebooks already bound. Perhaps your son's teacher would allow him to use such a notebook.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM