Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 357 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    N
    N
    I don't see anything in the article about more morning sickness meaning higher IQ. It sounds like any vs. none, and the IQ spread is probably very small, anyway. Morning sickness is also protective of fetal health, so it just makes sense that it would be protective of IQ. I sincerely doubt that morning sickness causes a higher IQ. It seems far more likely that a lack of morning sickness can indicate a problem with fetal development, resulting in lower IQ scores.

FWIW, I was crazy nauseous but only threw up once. wink

You are all giving me a chuckle! I had no morning sickness at all, but DS had/has a giganto head.

S
    S
    We've got:
    - morning sickness that lasted all day
    - big head
    - tall
    - early teeth (3 months - had 4 by 6 months, which is why we only breast-fed for 7 months!)
    - and blue eyes (I heard a snippet on the radio the other day that kids with blue eyes have greater intellectual acheivement than kids who don't, didn't catch the why of it)

I was nauseated during the first trimester with DS7, but nothing too extreme. I did lose my breakfast in the hotel shower before my brother-in-law's wedding. sick blush I was so embarrassed to have to call down to the front desk for cleaning help! cry And I couldn't tell anyone yet, so it was trouble.

But if morning sickness = intelligence, then DS4 is the one who should be a total GENIUS! crazy

I was sick the whole time--like from the day of conception!--and he was 2 weeks late, so it was a full 10 months of sick! I felt queasy virtually 24/7 and I barfed at least once a week every week for the whole pregnancy. No exaggeration! I actually threw up a very expensive dinner in the parking lot one week before I delivered! It was awful! I would even *wake up in the act of yakking* and have to leap out of bed still half asleep to try to make it to the bathroom. Torture!

On the bright side, stomach flu is a walk in the park now. I know exactly how long I have to get to the bathroom. There's always a silver lining, right? wink

P.S. They also had big heads, but they were just big babies, so I didn't read much into that. It would have been weird to have kids in the 90+th %ile for height and weight with little bitty heads, right?

And they're both tall and teethed early, too. Covered most of the (silly) intelligence bases, I think! Ha ha!

Last edited by Kriston; 05/16/09 04:47 PM. Reason: Added P.S.

Kriston
    F
    F
    With DS7, I was very nauseous. I threw up many times in the first 5 months. He had a big head, so he never dropped and I had a c-section.

With DD4, I had mild nausea throughout pregnancy, but had never threw up. She also had a big head, never dropped and again, I had a c-section.

They were both pretty tall, at least 80 %. They got teeth at normal time. They definitely didn't have blue eyes. That would be freaky if they did because we have no genes for it.

Cindi
    With both my kids I was nauseated 24/7 for about 5 months. During that time I actually threw up about twice a day, but the nausea was constant. Ugh!

DD has a small head.
    DS has a large head.

Both are tall, have brown eyes and late teeth.

Go figure smile

N
    N
    Nope, doesn't work here! I never threw up at all with my DS6, and I was sick all the time the whole 9 months with DD2 whose testing remains to be seen. smile

I actually have a theory (I'd make it a study if I had a grant) that it has to do with blood types. Not the intelligence, the sickness, LOL!

Originally Posted by Dottie
    I would throw in glasses and being left-handed for my own personal boasting, but my YS has the only perfect vision in the house, and all three kids are right handed, despite both parents being lefties, confused .

Hah! Dh and I are both lefties too, no left handed kids though. In fact most of your list is a match with our brood except for the tall, we are more medium height-large headed-fair skinned folk with glasses... paints a pretty picture laugh

Nausea - yes, with ds, loads. And then 2 months after the birth I had to have my gall bladder removed. Apparently about 40% of pregnant women experience a hormonal shift which causes some gall stone formation, though often not as severe as to require surgery. I had to be on anti-nausea meds for about 1/2 the pregnancy.
    Dd, some nausea, no way as severe as with ds. I think working helped keep my mind off it, however. I do remember having to get off the metro train to puke at one of the stops with dd.

I have heard that nausea is a sign your body is producing the right hormones to make a healthy baby, so good health would surely be a + for higher iq. I see #5#5 has mentioned this too...

L
    L
    Ok this is fun what if they have blue eyes but blond hair does that cancel out? LOL!

I have one tall and one little both had "proportional" heads they never looked big headed KWIM? Most likely both Gifted although DD4 has not been tested except to have her school put her in Kinder as a young 4yo......I figured it mostly had to do with genes since I was pretty clueless as to child development and following any lists of stuff to do. they still managed to learn. at one point I realized we hadn't read as much to DD4, when my DH pointed out that DD8 read to her (including after bedtime using a flashlight).....

Forgot about the morning sickness, I was nauseous but only threw up once with each kid. Certain things really turned my appetite off though.

Last edited by mschaff; 05/18/09 08:44 AM.
    P
    P
    Let's see, we have tall, early teether's with brown eyes. Hey 2 out of 3 is not bad, right. But I am not sure where I fit on morning sickness. I was never really sick or nauseous, but I had absolutely no appetite. The docs were getting really mad at me & they had me drinking double milk peanut butter milkshakes for breakfast. Yum

Now what I want to know is, can we convert all of this into IQ scores so we don't have to worry about testing? laugh

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM