Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    There is an old wise tale about teeth that a friend told me a few years ago... Cutting teeth early is a sign of intelligence. The fact that my DD cut her first two teeth right as she turned 4 months was the reason for the conversation.

My post is two folds: How early did your HG child cut their teeth and is what we are experiencing with DD now normal?

My DD had all of her baby teeth way before she should have. I looked online at the documentation about teeth development and the 1st set of teeth are suppose to come in around 6-10 months with the premolars finishing off the baby teeth stage coming in around 23-33 months. DD had all of the baby teeth by the time she was 18 months. And her teeth came in as a pattern of two at a time for the most part.

But now she has another set of molars trying to come in (lower set)and that set is not suppose to come in until they are around 6 years old at the earliest and if I am reading it right this set of molars come in during the lose of baby teeth. A few months back we say a white pocket where the third set should be and she was chewing on straws in that area but it went away now it is back and she is chewing like crazy and the pocket is even more present.

Has anyone else experienced this with their DCs?

C
    C
    No, and it's very hard to see what the mechanism would be for a connection of this kind! Teeth are highly variable, anyway: so much so that I bet there'll be more than a few people here with HG early-teething babies, and more than a few with HG late-teething babies too. Just to complicate the matter, what is classed as "average" also varies widely from source to source. I remember an idiotic dentist attempting to guess DS's age by his teeth, which is just a silly thing to do (DS was quite average, and he guessed wrong by a factor of nearly 2!), but along the way he gave a definition of when certain teeth were supposed to appear that he'd been taught in dental school but which was nothing like what I'd read or seen in kids around me.

Btw, "old wise tale"? I've only ever heard "old wives' tale". Is yours a conscious variant, or a mis-hearing, or what?

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Mia Offline
    Um, it's an old wives' tale -- my ds-7-next-week didn't get his first baby tooth until he was 16 months old! He still hasn't lost any of those late-appearing baby teeth, nor are any even remotely loose. smile

There's a pretty massive range of "normal" when it comes to teething.

Mia
    My ds5 was normal to late in the average range for getting teeth. Some of his preschool classmates are already losing their teeth, but he shows no signs of losing any soon.

Oh - re: old wise tale vs old wives tale. For years, in school and then in the workforce, i thought C-change was sea-change. I thought it was like when the waves went up and down....

OP Offline
    LOL ... I am so not a morning person and not awake so yes it should have been wives tale but the irony of wise does not escape me b/c I really would not put stock in the tales. I figured since it ties into my question about her forthcoming teeth I would organize it that way but really my question is has anyone else had the third set of molars come in before they turn 3 and before they start to lose their baby teeth?

DS was perfectly average in getting baby teeth, but way WAY late on losing them. There's actually a related old wives' tale that one can't read until one has lost all of one's incisors, which certainly didn't pan out with us!

On top of just generally being late on the tooth fairy end, it turns out DS just doesn't have two of his adult incisors, so there's an excellent chance he just won't lose those two baby teeth at all. (We're hoping he keeps them until he's 18, because if they go before then he'll need a spacer to keep everything in the right place until he's fully grown and can get a permanent implant.) So if we were waiting on incisors before reading... well it could be a long time! wink

Erica
    Originally Posted by KAR1200
    There's actually a related old wives' tale that one can't read until one has lost all of one's incisors, which certainly didn't pan out with us!

On top of just generally being late on the tooth fairy end, it turns out DS just doesn't have two of his adult incisors, so there's an excellent chance he just won't lose those two baby teeth at all. *** So if we were waiting on incisors before reading... well it could be a long time! wink

LOL!

F
    F
    My DD6 fell with in the average range, and she is one of the few 1st graders left who have yet to meet the tooth fairy.
    I have never heard the tale about early teeth and intellegence, but I did hear the tale that late teethers usually have straighter teeth.

I've heard that old wives' tale before about the teeth, but I think it's just silly. I know two kids from different family's that are both very bright (probably gifted but haven't been tested) and both got their first teeth around their first birthday. My dd7.5 got her first teeth at about 7 months, but still hasn't lost any (she's the only second grader to still have all her baby teeth!)

Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    And her teeth came in as a pattern of two at a time for the most part.

My DD6 did this too. she started at 4 months and it was two at a time. She just got her first loosed tooth smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM