Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 412 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    It is interesting to note that some children with clearly incredible verbal comprehension (or other variable) skills, may test lower on those subtests of the WPPSI, than seem reflective of their abilities. In the case of partial WPPSI, such as ERB, the tester's session notes may carry weight and provide insight, in reading and interpreting results.
    My child took the SB5 at 3.11yrs old and scored in the top of the 99%ile, the WPPSI one yr later, scoring in the same range there. It was interesting that the lowest scoring subtest was in verbal comprehension, while performance, non-verbal and others, were far above the registered scale. I didn't have an opportunity to discuss these tests/results with either tester, but found the session notes from the WPPSI tester to be clear and informative.
    Here in ny, there may be a considerable additional fee to confer with SB tester, so there is little insight into the process, unless this is done.
    The assessments made using these 2 tests seem to be applied in very different ways. I've also heard that the SB5 is more of a spatial assessment tool and truer IQ measure, while the WPPSI has been described as more of a readiness gauge or achievement test.
    I've been skeptical about using results from such young children as a true measure of aptitude and potential abilities. That is the only reason I would have my child test again at a slightly advanced age. Otherwise, we've seen these tests and their results applied in some ways (for admissions, etc) that seem often inappropriate in such young persons.

mamone #45076 04/19/09 09:14 AM
    L
    L
    Dottie, do you have any old George Carlin tapes for DD. You know the one where he is getting "in" the plane not "on" the plane. Technically she was correct about the theatre problem smile....They should have worded the problem better. smile

lilswee #45115 04/20/09 05:09 AM
    Chiming in on the WPPSI vs SB-V question- I spoke to Aimee Yermish this w/e and she recommends the V over the WPPSI for HG+ kids. The Wechsler has a hard ceiling that can be a problem for these kids. The V has more "head room".

Lorel #45773 04/27/09 05:46 PM
    MAE Offline
    Hi. I'm very interested in this conversation, however can someone tell me what DYS is? I haven't been able to find an abbreviations FAQ.

Thanks!

MAE #45774 04/27/09 05:58 PM
    Davidson Young Scholars

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students