Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks ladies. Right now I am just hoping that he sleeps through the night and isn't cranky.:)

M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Partial result. DS did great this morning...no behavior issues. He slept until 8:30am (yeah) so was plenty rested for his 12:30 appt. And we had two full meals in him before his appt. After the first 45 mins DS had to go (excuse me) poopy, and then he started right back in. He went for another 30 mins, needed a snack, then went another 20 mins. Then the sillies came out; and the dr couldn't get him focused again. We are going back in the morning to finish (hopefully). DS came out and said that "he was a good, fun, thinking dr." My DS isn't very articulate yet (his biggest weakness). But he said it without my asking him how it was. DS kept saying it was fun though. The dr said DS did great, and stayed focused; and obviously DS had fun. I asked DS if he wanted to come back tomorrow; and he answered with an emphatic "yes." The dr. was great, and a calm soul. We'll see how he did soon, hopefully. Thank you for all your advice. saw the dr.'s phone sitting on his desk with a very long cord on it (perfect for being pulled behind trucks, etc); so I asked him to hide it so that DS didn't get distractd by it. Otherwise it was just an office without toys; so it was perfect. Unfortunately, I feel that he probably wasted a lot of time starting from point 0, as I walked in after the first 45 mins, returning DS from the bathroom, and a capital letter A was set up on the flip cards. DS ran in and said "that's the letter A." I am so happy that he decided to share with the dr though. I told the dr that DS will need a snack at least every 45 mins-1 hour; so he said he thought that was a good idea. DS just turned 4 last week; and the dr said that he did great in concentrating especially at his age.

M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    p.s. What questions should I ask the dr tomorrow before I leave? He will be out of town next week for two weeks; so I need to ask now. Thank you!

Just try to get an overall feel...

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    We had our 2nd (last) day of testing this morning. The dr said that he finished it; but I am unsure. Unfortunately DS had to sit in traffic for 1.5 hours before we got there. And the dr didn't have a bag of tricks. He came out saying at the end that DS has some compliance issues. duh? I told him that. And DS started manipulating him as soon as the dr got stressed about his non-compliance. So, after they came out the second time (1st for potty); and I asked DS what it would take for him to sit and work for the dr. He said "cookies." I had some animal cracker cookies with 2 grams of sugar per 8; so we said ok. He would get one or a different bite of his other snack for every 10 mins or so of work. He did focus for a little while longer; but the dr told me one of the tests that DS didn't get; and I was very surprised - very simple. So DS must have shut down at that point. The dr wouldn't give me even a ballpark number. He said DS was up and down; and he was usually wrong when he guessed. I have to wait until the dr gets back from vacation on the 20th. (he originally told me 2 wks) So we'll see. He used the K-SEALS test and the WPPSI. Thanks for your help.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations