Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    C
    C
    I meant more on the 4 posts, jumping into a conversation with an antagonistic tone, lacking specifics on anything... not the opinion expressed.

Q
    Q
    Sorry, CAMom, I "know" you better than that. I know what you were referring to. We're lucky to enjoy a civil and supportive tone on this board and let's hope it stays. I think we're all saying the same thing. Hope things are good with you and yours!

N
    N
    I do respect others opinion's. And I have no idea what a troll is, except for a fairy type person that lives in make believe land. Funny how others don't. Difference's is what makes the world go round. Nothing to get mad about.

D
    D
    Hello, new here, I was just wondering do you guys always gang up on someone and their opinion? Sounds like this person my have thoughts of their own on this subject. Homeschooling is not for everyone. Out of eight children, four gifted. Home schooling was not the best suited for us. And as a student it is a lot harder to figure things out when you get older. I have several younger bothers who are gifted who I work with so that they get the best of the best. I know parents always think they know best, but when they get older it might be best to talk to the children. (btw NMMOMTECH, I didn't feel like you were "jumping into a conversation with an antagonistic tone" in your words like others thought here. But I would like to get in touch with you on that study your talking about it. I attend College in TX, ( btw this is my third time trying this, understand a lot of what you said, more then these parents would care to hear) email me if you can, have not figured this thing out yet.
    DrewTX

Last edited by Drew; 04/08/09 12:09 AM.
    Hey Drew, thanks for showing me this forum. Now I understand where you were coming from. If this other person get's in touch with you, send them the schools way would love to chat.I would say something on home school but would hate to get everyone on my tail on here. Everyone has their opinions for their own reasons. If they only knew yours.

This conversation reminds me of something I read on another board, I think on Julie Bogart's Bravewriter board. It was about a woman showing off her new dress to her DH and his first response is "Oh, well, wouldn't the other necklace or shoes go better with that?" While his comment was well-intentioned, it was not properly timed. We've all had that happen. "Hi mom and dad. This is the man I'm going to marry!" "Well, you gotta watch out for men, like him" ha ha ha. My point is, the OP has made her decision, she was following up to another thread letting us know where she is now in her decision making process. She was not asking for pros/cons of HSing and socialization and college. She is making the best decision she can for her child at this moment. The presence of a troll in another thread undoubtedly made folks a bit jumpy.

This is THE most supportive board I know of for differing opinions. If someone wants to debate the pros/cons of socialization and college wrt to HSing - start another thread. those who want to engage in the conversation will, those who don't will ignore - everyone will be happy.

Most mishaps on forums I've been on are due to misunderstandings in the written word.

NMMOM,

I think the issue here is that the kids discussed here are at the extreme end of the spectrum. There is a big difference between a kid that qualifies for a GT program at school and these kids. Extreme kids require extreme measures. Because your statement was made in "blanket" fashion, it made a lot of hackles stand up. We as parents advocating for these kids get the standard blanket answer all too often by school admins etc.
    "Oh we have a wonderful pullout 2 hrs a week which will expose your DD/DS to next years material" When the truth is DD/DS need to be accelerated 3-4 years.

As far as NM goes, I'll be the first to admit that NM isn't known for it's gifted programs. At first glance there aren't any. When we first looked into school I was told by NMATAG that I should move to a differrent state. But the fact is our school has been fabulous, our district super supportive. In spite of this, at some point I will have to homeschool. My DS6 is learning at the rate of 3 grade levels per year. Next year he will need math at the high school level. Sending a 7-8 year old to high school isn't something I'm willing to contemplate.

It's really easy to say what someone else should do with a kid like this, but until you live through it, it's impossible to know what the best choices are. Even as we make our choices, we all second guess ourselves. Maybe your comments weren't meant in an antagonistic way but it certainly came across that way. The parents on this forum are people that care, are looking for answers and support each other. We pay attention to the research and I for one haven't seen anything to support your claims.You are entitled to take a stand against homeschooling for yourself and your children but don't disparage others for choosing differently. No one will ever "attack" you for stating your opinion on this board, only for trying to put your views on us.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Right on, Shari! Nicely (and not "attackingly") put! smile

Kriston
    I'm practicing Diplomacy!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Well, I think you can relax the practice because you did very well! laugh

Kriston
    Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7