Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 121 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    OHGrandma #46352 05/02/09 07:01 AM
    OP Offline
    So the Beginning Algebra continues the story of Fred from the fractions and dec/percents books?

Yes, in the opening of the book it says "Our story begins on the day before Fred's sixth birthday. Start with chapter one, and things will explain themselves nicely."

The way I understand it, Fred's story is continued throughout the whole series.

OHGrandma #46357 05/02/09 08:47 AM
    OK, this cracked me up... I was reading the note to Teachers & Parents in the Beginning Algebra...it said in part:
    "We know tht it takes some work for the students to learn algebra, but their efforts need not involve suffering. If this book offers "a spoonful of sugar" to the students as they learn how to do algebra, who, except the American Dental Association, could object?"

Haha, little gems like that keep the kids entertained.

BTW, I learned from another board that one of the recommended resources to prepare for the CLEP in calculus(I think that was the math one) is Life of Fred Calculus!

OHGrandma #46378 05/02/09 03:08 PM
    Wow exciting and depressing for me since I was the kid who would have loved those books. I was/am really good at math to the point that my math professors begged me to change my major to math but it was so redundant and boring to me. I am a logical person in that once you tell me the concept and step it through I have it so why did I need to do all of the homework attached to it? So I didn't but would come in and ace the tests. LOL Drove my professors nuts to say the least. I'm great at the argument too ... I still got my A b/c I argued that homework is to ensure you comprehend the concept and by acing the test I proved that and therefore should only be considered on the test. But these textbooks would have made such a difference in my approach and I just might have wanted to graduate with a math degree. My problem is DD is too young for such things at this point so hopefully when she is ready for Algebra on these books will be available.

Anyway ... thanks for posting on them. Making a mental note for later on.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM