Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 256 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Thomes Eliana, Larisa, ilnurbeggins, Cruzer84, CRPG
    11,511 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    F
    F
    Thanks for the article.
    My DD6 Likes to read several chapter books at once. This drives me crazy.
    After reading "The Gifted Reader's Bill of Rights" I think I'll quit nagging her. smile

J
    J
    Originally Posted by seablue
    Hi, I know this topic has been covered but I'm sorry I needed it spelled out for me again.

When I mentioned my cousin's DD 4.5 can read anything already, my friend repeated what she had been told by a teacher. "All children even out in reading by third grade." I decided to not question it.

Is that true?

I wonder if the teacher meant at the end of 3rd grade, most students shift to becoming independent readers. (Instead of learning to read, they are reading to learn). Generally, two levels below and two levels above is the range of reading ability for a particular grade level before more specific modifications/assistance needs to be documented by the teacher (all dependent on state regulations of course).

Originally Posted by JustAMom
    I wonder if the teacher meant at the end of 3rd grade, most students shift to becoming independent readers. (Instead of learning to read, they are reading to learn).

I think you are probably right about this, because I've had a couple of people tell me this and explain what they mean by saying that they are all pretty much reading independently by 3rd grade, even they are not all able to read the same books by then. I wonder if this idea also indicates people's beliefs that once you can read there is no real difference in your ability, regardless of whether you are reading simple chapter books or are reading complex adult lit.?

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Kerry
    Originally Posted by JustAMom
    I wonder if the teacher meant at the end of 3rd grade, most students shift to becoming independent readers. (Instead of learning to read, they are reading to learn).

I wonder if this idea also indicates people's beliefs that once you can read there is no real difference in your ability, regardless of whether you are reading simple chapter books or are reading complex adult lit.?

Ouch. Scary thought.

Val

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Kerry
    I think you are probably right about this, because I've had a couple of people tell me this and explain what they mean by saying that they are all pretty much reading independently by 3rd grade, even they are not all able to read the same books by then. I wonder if this idea also indicates people's beliefs that once you can read there is no real difference in your ability, regardless of whether you are reading simple chapter books or are reading complex adult lit.?

If the teacher is following the International Reading Association or the National Reading Association's standards and guidelines, the student is suppose to have a choice in their appropriate leveled reading material to practice the skill the teacher planned to explore
    together. wink

J
    J
    Do any of you know what are some standard Grade 3 book titles?

F
    F
    And also www.arbookfind.com it has ratings, book level, interest grade level and a word count.
    advanced search can give you a grade list

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e Dyslexia/Dysgraphia schools
    by aeh - 09/27/24 03:29 PM
    College Admissions for 2E poor grades
    by aeh - 09/24/24 07:28 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by aeh - 09/24/24 02:25 PM
    Davidson e-newsletter subscription