Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 269 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    BethG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Beth, my children are currently dual enrolled which means they take language arts seperately from the school and are at the school for lunch, recess, specials, science/social studies and math.

That sounds terrific! Unfortunately that is not an option in our district. frown

Is her current teacher willing to let her do different math?

I believe they start this in 3rd grade. Right now she gets a math pullout one day a week where they do logic puzzles and introduction to more advanced concepts, but that's it. And just to make things more complicated her regular teacher is actually out on maternity leave and will be gone until the first of May. We have had several issues with the long term sub, but I think things may finally be settling down.

One other thought: you say that she has poor social skills. Is that with kids her own age, or with ALL people?

You know, that's a good question. She actually is at her worst with younger kids and kids around her own age. She does pretty well with kids a fair bit older than her, say 11/12 (she is 7). She gets along great with the 6th grade older sister of one of her friends. Adults do often find her behavior frustrating in groups, but one on one she does very well. It's more that in group and/or chaotic situations she gets all riled up and then can't seem to get herself back under control.

Mom to DD9 and DD3
    Hmmm...That leads me to believe that she's not immature, but merely frustrated with kids who are not her intellectual peers. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it says to me that you might want to consider a grade skip.

Consider how a 7yo would act if she were cooped up with 4yos (or 5yos or whatever) all day, expected to play with them and do the same work they are doing. She might act out a bit, right? That's probably sort of how she feels in a regular classroom.

Have you read "A Nation Deceived?"

http://www.nationdeceived.org/

It's free, and it's well-researched. You might want to take a look at it before you decide that a grade skip is wrong for her. It may be wrong for her, of course, but I think it's good to get the facts before you make that call.

(Full disclosure: we chose to homeschool rather than to grade skip our HG+ son. So I'm not a grade skip pusher. LOL!)

Kriston
    B
    BethG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks. We had a house full of guests all weekend.

I have read The Nation Deceived Report. And I do believe, I'm just not so it's even worth going there with the school. Plus I think the idea of a skip like that might freak DD out as well.

I do have a more technical WISC follow-up question though. MIL was here over the weekend. She used to be a school psychologist and said the psychologist we used did not use the Arithmetic subscore to calculate her WPI which brought it down. Anyone know why she might have chosen to do that?

Mom to DD9 and DD3
    B
    BethG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Dottie, thanks for your feedback. That is interesting. I wonder why they changed the scoring like that.

Mom to DD9 and DD3
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...