Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    Originally Posted by JustAMom
    If I remember correctly, it's very rare to complete all the questions in the given time.

I'm not sure that's true, our tester for ds commented that most kids have time to hit all the questions. Ds8 didn't attempt a large number and that sounded unusual...

Because the test also considers fluency in the equation of determining the score, the number of questions is beyond what the median number of questions an average student will answer during a given time. I've adminstered this test for over 10 years for upper elementary aged students and it has been my experience that 2 - 3 students may complete all of the questions for the alotted time.

I've also noticed many districts will not accept a CoGAT score from other district or when given by a parent because the time could have been lengthened or not administered properly.

B
    B
    I'm just curious because our school district gave very very little information regarding the CoGat that our DSnow9 took when he was just 8 ...

he completed all the questions and got a composite percentile score of 97. What does that mean???

thanks

J
    J
    he completed all the questions and got a composite percentile score of 97. What does that mean???

A composite score is the average of all tests given (or selected to be given)during the testing time frame.

Barbara - You can go to cogat.com for more info on the test, if you got a sheet from the school it probably has a profile score, which you can enter on the site to get even more info. To be taken with shaker of salt, but 97 sounds very nice for composite!

JustAMom- that is interesting about most kids not completing it.
    Our tester so far seems ok, but there are several things he's said that I am really scratching my head about. This is one of them. Maybe he was just referring to ds's very unusually low amount of completed questions. Who knows. This will go on the list of lesser things I want to pin the good doctor down on... smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM