Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 180 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    If there is one thing I've learned in all of this, it's that you have to make the best choice based on what you know TODAY. If it turns out that tomorrow you were wrong, move on from there.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Sing it, sister! laugh

Kriston
    Actually, I think I was given that advice by you Kriston. You and Dottie.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Well, see, I agree with myself. LOL!

At least I'm consistent! grin

Kriston
    ROFL!

Kriston
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Well, Dottie, I thought about what you were saying with the two different children and their scatter. In my opinion, and this is based on having a 2E kid, the ones with issues need the GATE the most! Take a neurotypical kid with FSIQ 140 and one like my son (who scored almost GT in spite his problems) and let's accept the concept that the work is ridiculously easy for both of them. The first kid is going to hate life but cope better than my son, who has trouble paying attention as it is. I mean, compound DS's AD/HD profile with 6 hours of boredom and it's a recipe for disaster. Truthfully though, this is the discussion of a pathetic educational system. Why isn't there funding so that both kids fit? I mean, I realize that there must be a cut-off, but I can't imagine a kid in the 75th percentile enjoying the environment as it is, either and there are a lot of 75th percentiles out there. Of course, then again, I was GT which may be affecting my perspective.

I do agree that it seems unfair to use GAI for one kid and not the next. It should be across the board. Someone told me it had to do with lack of confidence in the FSIQ because of the spread. I'm still uneasy with it, even though DS6 has an 11 pt difference.

I really love the 130-D, 130-A idea. We know that we can't describe a diamond with only one of the four C's.

The kids I know who are in the 115-130 range are pretty doggone underserved in our area, I agree, GTH. Even those without 2E issues to pull down scores!

Kriston
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    A kid w/ a 125 IQ (again, not saying this is your son) can still be very bored in the wrong environment. It all depends on where the class is taught to and what the peers are like. I've also been told by a teacher that the top 20% of most classes, could stand to be accelerated to the next grade.

In my son's case, you might look at his IQ scores and think, hhmm, he just needs a little differentiation. Well, our district is not known for his critical thinking at the elementary level...more reminds of a factory. My son thrives on critical thinking and being stretched. I don't think accelerating him a grade level would have done much good...it would have been slightly higher content but delivered in the exact same way. he needed DIFFERENT. So not saying this is what is going on with your child, but just to emphasize, don't let them get hung up on his IQ score...afterall, it might not be an accurate reflection of him. And if he's been underchallenged and is losing his spark, you're not going to get stellar achievement scores either.

Yes, this is such an interesting point. I think the problem is that I live in Lake Woe-Be-Gone if you catch my drift, where every kid is above average. On their side, more than half of the parents have advanced degrees and the kids are clearly bright. Of course, a masters degree doesn't translate directly to critical thinking and that might be part of the issue. Questioning whether the curriculum meets a child's needs just isn't done and differentiation is just not going to happen. So, I guess I haven't been completely honest with myself. The grade skip would be partly to make it easier on ME. If I fought for harder work, it would be a daily battle and all the other parents would want to know what was going on. Moving him up a grade would be a one time thing and people would get a chance to forget about it.I tried talking to the teacher once about how he was working at a higher math level at home and she said, "I'm not comfortable talking about this." I'm afraid that pushing the issue would turn me into a pariah or worse, DS!

In addition, the school emphasizes that all of the kids here are smart and therefore, my son, no matter what his IQ, should be fine in a regular class. Unfortunately, bless his heart, with a full scale of 118, I have no leg to stand on to get him harder work.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    Originally Posted by snowgirl
    I think Silverman's argument is interesting - I don't know if she says it quite this way, but it seems like she's saying, either use the GAI or lower the bar for admission to a gifted program to 120 for full-scale IQ.

I kind of picked up from another page on the gdc site (I posted it on this thread already, I think) that the idea is to remove the speed question for most/all questions of gt *BUT* speed is important for good performance in school and other traditional settings so..?
    (why not work kids this young into that speed, if their subtests which better correspond with 'g' are really nice looking? )
    I am assuming that speed inevitably improves with age, and practice - but these tests are more of a statement of a 'static' percentile of speediness, right?

chris,

Would you please explain what you mean? What would working them into that speed look like? Also, how do you get a WISC that doesn't have timed parts? Do you have to have an existing LD diagnosis? My son did have a diagnosis of AD/HD before taking the WISC, although the psychiatrist who gave it to him said that he was unsure about the diagnosis.

Well, as I was sort of thinking out loud I am probably somewhat off-base...but the link I posted, 'Who are the gifted with the new Wisc' (IV) does seem to hold up GAI as a better gt standard than fsiq. I think I was probably inferring from personal experience and this article that speed can be changed. Eg: I am faster now than when I was young, and for me this has been due partly to better confidence. But, upon reflection they don't say that outright. For working memory, I thought I had heard that current research shows that practice in an area increases ability to juggle various bit of data (short order cooks who deal with multiple food orders, etc ).

We do not have an ld diagnosis, we are mid-assessment, actually. I thought bronxmom's comment indicated there are untimed scores and jumped to the conclusion these would be used to calc GAI, but that seems to be wrong. I am not sure what the 2nd set would be used for, then but if our tester provides these I will ask! (and let you know what he says). We went into testing alredy concerned that ds cogat score in one area might be due to speed issues or anxiety, the tester mentioned Gai as possibly a better way to look at things.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by millersb02 - 06/28/24 04:39 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 06/28/24 03:34 AM
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM