Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    B
    B
    In order to obsess properly you're going to need the raw numbers.

I didn't notice the two block design numbers until very recently, they're buried somewhere in the back of the report.

Originally Posted by bronxmom
    In order to obsess properly you're going to need the raw numbers.

This at least is clear to me! LOL!

thanks - laugh

Last edited by chris1234; 03/18/09 10:11 AM.
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    This is so interesting. So, do kids with attention issues generally do better on the SB, as it is un-timed?

Also, I kind of got the idea that our tester didn't want to give us any information that would encourage us toward putting him in a gifted program. For example, there is no GAI on the report she gave us. When I asked her about it, she was dismissive and said, "most programs don't take GAI". That's o.k. with me because I was paying her for more than scores; I also wanted her opinions about placement for him and other subjective thoughts. I'm going to try to get those block design scores from her and report back, though. It would be interesting.

In the meantime, can I ask an embarrassing question? The way that I understand the WISC scores is that VCI/PRI are upper brain tasks and WMI/PSI are midbrain tasks. So, when he's put to the task, his upper brain may be sort of compensating for his lower brain and that's why the full scale is a blend of both. It's as if he's being slowed down by his midbrain. Does that sound right? So, if we improve his lower brain development/skills, his upper brain will be free to work on more cognitive tasks and we might see those achievement scores improve. If that's true so far, would it follow that we might even see improvement in his VCI/PRI or is that just set?

Last edited by giftedticcyhyper; 03/18/09 11:06 AM.
    Hmm... for the GAI, there are specific rules for when it is and isn't calculated, independent of whether a program will accept it... It's a matter of the differences being "significant and unusual", which requires some figuring. It might be worth asking her if she checked on that, as it would let you know whether you could use the GAI if you come across a program that would accept it.

Erica
    S
    S
    I thought there needs to be specific point spread (maybe 23 pts?) between the highest and lowest scores in order to use the GAI. Let me see if I can find it... here, the full scale score must not be used if the point spread is 23 or more, but it doesn't say not to calculate the GAI if the point spread is less, at least I don't see it here (I'm glad because that wouldn't make sense). Other interesting tidbits at this link too...

http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/About_GDC/newiqtests.htm

Originally Posted by GDC, again
    When there are extreme discrepancies between composite scores on the WISC-IV (23 points or more), the Full Scale IQ score should not be derived (Flanagan & Kaufman, 2004). Therefore, the Full Scale IQ score should not be the main score used to determine program selection (Rimm, Gilman & Silverman, in press).
    When using the WISC-IV, either the General Ability Index (GAI), which emphasizes reasoning ability, or the Full Scale IQ Score (FSIQ), should be acceptable for selection to gifted programs. The GAI should be derived using the table provided by Harcourt Assessments (Technical Report 4). The Verbal Comprehension Index (VCI) or the Perceptual Reasoning Index (PRI) are also independently appropriate for selection to programs for the gifted, especially for culturally diverse, bilingual, twice-exceptional students or visual-spatial learners. It is important that a good match be made between the strengths of the child and the attributes of the program. Students who have special learning needs should be admitted to gifted programs, provided that there are other indications of giftedness and instructional modifications are made to fit the needs of the students (NAGC Task Force on Assessment, 2006).
    The gifted validation sample reported in the Technical Manual of the WISC-IV achieved a mean Full Scale IQ score of 123.5 (Wechsler, 2003). The mean IQ score of 202 children in the gifted validation sample of the SB5 was 124. Therefore, cut-off scores for gifted programs should be lowered to 120, rather than 130 (Rimm, Gilman & Silverman, in press; Silverman, in press, a).
    I think Silverman's argument is interesting - I don't know if she says it quite this way, but it seems like she's saying, either use the GAI or lower the bar for admission to a gifted program to 120 for full-scale IQ.

S
    S
    I agree. I wonder then, whether it indeed is easier to compare FSIQs alone (whether or not the bar were to be lowered, as Silverman suggests). I think the problem lies with the fact that one single number cannot explain the scatter, and the scatter better reflects the child's needs than the single number. I wonder, perhaps, whether someone could come up with a method to quantify the importance of lower or higher processing/wm scores that makes more sense. (How are they weighted currently in the FSIQ - does that half of the test, say on the wisc - have the same weight as VCI and PRI? Or is the weight less? Has the affect on "g" by processing and WM ever been "calculated"? is there such a thing?) Maybe, LOL, they could assign a letter grade to denote the level of processing and wm, and so someone could have a 130-D or a 130-A, etc., though that doesn't quite do what I would want it to. Or maybe come up with a separate number for the other half of the test, so it gets reported in two separate numbers - GAI and processing - though I think then the temptation would be to add them together (like the old SAT) which again would give processing/wm equal weight. I can't come up with any idea that still isn't comparing apples and oranges. I guess I'm equally befuddled.

Originally Posted by snowgirl
    I think Silverman's argument is interesting - I don't know if she says it quite this way, but it seems like she's saying, either use the GAI or lower the bar for admission to a gifted program to 120 for full-scale IQ.

I kind of picked up from another page on the gdc site (I posted it on this thread already, I think) that the idea is to remove the speed question for most/all questions of gt *BUT* speed is important for good performance in school and other traditional settings so..?
    (why not work kids this young into that speed, if their subtests which better correspond with 'g' are really nice looking? )
    I am assuming that speed inevitably improves with age, and practice - but these tests are more of a statement of a 'static' percentile of speediness, right?

Not sure, 'tis be-fuddling!

Originally Posted by GTC
    The way that I understand the WISC scores is that VCI/PRI are upper brain tasks and WMI/PSI are midbrain tasks. So, when he's put to the task, his upper brain may be sort of compensating for his lower brain and that's why the full scale is a blend of both. It's as if he's being slowed down by his midbrain. Does that sound right? So, if we improve his lower brain development/skills, his upper brain will be free to work on more cognitive tasks and we might see those achievement scores improve. If that's true so far, would it follow that we might even see improvement in his VCI/PRI or is that just set?

Again, definitely no answers here... but I wonder if the differences between fsiq and gai come down to 'traditional' settings for iq to be apparent and 'non-traditional' settings...?
    (Sorry if I ramble.)

Last edited by chris1234; 03/18/09 04:03 PM.
    I like that, too, Dottie. It just seems like a more well-rounded way to look at things.

Kriston
    Our district seems to put more stock in achie3vement testing. My DS took the WJ III and part of an IQ test. It was enough for them and enough for DYS too!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Giftedticcyhper - (GTCP???) lol

I have no idea about your son's IQ whether it's reflective of him or not, I'm not commenting on that. BUt when I read your post, it brought to mind something I read. A kid w/ a 125 IQ (again, not saying this is your son) can still be very bored in the wrong environment. It all depends on where the class is taught to and what the peers are like. I've also been told by a teacher that the top 20% of most classes, could stand to be accelerated to the next grade. So, depending on your son's school and to what level instruction is aimed, he could very well be perfectly at home in a 1st grade class. I think people get too hung up on IQ numbers and don't look at the whole child and also don't take into account the school environment. I have a friend's district where the avg IQ is about 115-120 or so due to demographics and so their curriculum is always a good half year to year ahead of ours. Plus their cutoff is 5months earlier than ours so the kids are 6months older! that makes a huge difference in curriculum.

In my son's case, you might look at his IQ scores and think, hhmm, he just needs a little differentiation. Well, our district is not known for his critical thinking at the elementary level...more reminds of a factory. My son thrives on critical thinking and being stretched. I don't think accelerating him a grade level would have done much good...it would have been slightly higher content but delivered in the exact same way. he needed DIFFERENT. So not saying this is what is going on with your child, but just to emphasize, don't let them get hung up on his IQ score...afterall, it might not be an accurate reflection of him. And if he's been underchallenged and is losing his spark, you're not going to get stellar achievement scores either.

My friend's DD has ADHD and for her food dyes send her climbing the walls. Unfortunately, the diet that works for her is difficult for her mom to stick to for the whole family.

I've read some kids get skipped a grade and then are comfortable near the top and are happy the rest of their school lives.

I agree w/ Kriston to look at the options. If you can convince them of the skip and it doesn't work and he doesn't want to go back to K but to HS, and that is OK with you - what you do have to lose by trying?

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 03/18/09 05:32 PM.
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM