Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Here's something.

DS13 took a summer institute course last summer (Microeconomics). The professor suggested that he take the AP Exam this spring (almost a year later) as an additional challenge and possible way to place out of entry-level Micro course in college. DS said he wanted to do it and even though the course isn't taught in our district, they ordered the exam for him. I bought him a study guide months ago but he didn't start studying until a few weeks ago. He took the test yesterday and was more excited than I've seen him all year. He said "This is cool"--that, from my kid who never tells me anything positive these days means a lot. I don't know if he did well or not, but I am so pleased that he took it and challenged himself and was happy and has the experience of AP exam and maybe will want to take several more, even if his classes aren't officially AP...kind of enhanced, independent study.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Thanks, Dottie, I am counting the days till freshman year is over (only finals to go) and I can not wait and hope DS will make the big final push to get everything together. The lack of control for involved parent is very frustrating from my point of view.

I'm not sure if it's because he's young, having skipped & being late summer birthday, or his laid-back attitude, but it does concern me. It could also be hormones. He was very organized in middle school, timely in turning in assignments; but this year, he leaves everything to the last possible moment (perhaps to be entertained by apoplectic mom). For instance, today is the last day of classes with lots of assignments due. He discovered at 8:30 pm last night that he had left his folder with all his work somewhere. My questions are, "Why didn't you make sure you had everything you needed for this last crunch?" "Why did you not check till 8:30 pm?" "Why were these things done this past weekend when we had plenty of time, so you didn't have to wait till the day before?" and many more! I know he seriously cares about his grades but his heart and his actions don't seem to align.

Anyway, I am hoping he matures over the summer because I don't know if I can face another year like this one.

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Dottie and Cym - I woud LOVE to have coffee with you and chat!
    I am extremely busy today, online for just a second while paying bills smile
    I had to point one thing though, re:timing. Make sure to schedule Sat II Math after the student takes pre-calc. It is apparently the best time to do it!

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Off and away. I am curious to see how this thread progresses with me being away.
    Have a great summer guys:)

Ooooohhh a European vacation! I'm so jealous!!! Do have a wonderful and safe trip Ania!!!!

smile

Have a great time! smile

Kriston
    Have a Great trip!!!!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM