Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by jbr3610
    we are dealing with a master manipulator, who knows just how far to push ( no pun intended) without getting in trouble.

DS12 had one of these boys in his life last year - a major reason that we changed schools was that the school's resoponse was that DS should 'practice being the bigger man.'

There's one difference between (one) private school and our public school. Our public school had a bully-prevention policy, and came around to each classroom to teach the children that if you act as an audience for a bully - then you are responsible. Wow! Our Middle School has any anonymous email link were anyone can report bullying - without being named.

Here are some ideas -
    1) Tell. then ask for a anti-bully program to be presented to the whole class without naming any names, encouraging the kids to stick up for each other.
    2) Practice the fine art of body language. Have good natured'hairy eyeball' contests at your house. Everyone has to know how to make 'impressive' body language.
    3) Talk to the teacher and see if they can institute a 'physical seperation' policy, where the kids are basically not allowed within 10 feet of each other. This is so much more workable than trying to catch a suble kid in the act.
    4) Here's some advice from a friend, that DS12 wanted nothing to do with, but maybe it will work for your son:

When the kid pushes or does something your son doesn't like, your son can use a very loud voice and say: "Hey - Stop Pushing Me!" or "Hey - that's mean talk. I don't like mean talk."

This gives the teacher a chance to come over and say to your son, "No yelling in the classroom, use an inside voice." which 'proves' that your son isn't tattling (since he got 'spoken' to) but it may scare the bully, and will certianly raise the awareness of the teacher. You son has stated his opinion forcefully and not resorted to physical violence- which is good, even if he 'get's in trouble' for yelling.

Prepare your son for the teacher correcting him, as he needs to turn his body language submissive and say: "I'm very sorry teacher, I know I shouldn't loose control and yell." The trick is that he doesn't plead his case here, so he can't get in trouble with peers for tattling. If you prepare him that the teacher will be 'correcting him on the outside, but taking notes against the bully for the future on the inside' he might be able to pull this off.

Although my son didn't ever use this directly, he did something similar that makes me think that this might work. (Age 10, 6th grade, private school)
    DS: Mom, A boy tattled on me for swearing today.
    Me: What happened?
    DS: Well, the boy threw a rock that went 2 inches from my eye. I was just standing by the wall.
    Me: Oh? (trying not to freak out entirely)
    DS: I said the f-word. It just came out.
    Me: I would have said a lot more than that!
    DS: So then the boy goes running to the teacher, 'Teacher, he said the F-word!' So the teacher asked what happened, and I told about the rock, and that was that.
    Me: He told on you for swearing? After he threw a rock at your eye? That is so weird!
    DS: yeah.

So the next time someone sayed that my kid is too immature to be gradeskipped, I said a little prayer of gratitude that my baby has both his eyeballs. Of course one major motivation (sad to say) for parents to shell out the big bucks for private school is for kids who are a bit too immature for public school.

Actually, I wonder if teaching your son to swear isn't an good idea. If yelling seems too babyish, perhaps a few well practiced phrases will get everyone's attention with only a minimum of cost. It's a lot easier to give the 'hairy eyeball' if one is saying 'Get you ####ing hands off of me, you #####.' Much much better than punching.
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity, you are a gem.

Yes, Grinity, you are!

"That is so weird!" ((chuckling....I could think of another term, too!....more chuckling))

Does that fall under Darwinism?

M
    M
    My brother and I tried something similar in high school (though not swearing, because the person who was [verbally] bullying my brother was one of the teachers); we spent hours picking choice bits out of the OED for my bro to use on him ("yes, Mr. Teacher, I think everyone would agree that you are indeed a caitiff and that your lecture was particularly adiaphorous today"). The teacher was so pompous that he wasn't going to admit that he didn't know the words, so he wasn't ever any more than perplexed and wary (we didn't actually want to hurt his feelings), and my brother had the inner glow of knowing that he'd gotten off a nifty, and felt like he'd restored some balance in the cosmos.

PS: adiaphorous=inessential, immaterial
    caitiff=base, mean, despicable wretch; miserable person, one in a piteous case

Last edited by minniemarx; 03/10/09 07:40 PM. Reason: added postscript
    I love that! Resourceful! smile

J
    jbr3610 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    LOL love the suggestions!
    Unfortunately, bully is in same class as DS, despite the issues we had last year. Seems that enought OTHER parents requested that their child not be in class with him that he ended up with my son. Not sure if the 10 foot rule would work there. We are working with DS, trying to build confidence in both the fact that he is so much bigger than this kid, and that he can "use words" to deflect some of the bullying. DH is a proponent of yelling, "Leave me alone, or there is going to be trouble" Then if the kid rats, DS can just say " I told him he was going to get in trouble if he didn't leave me alone" and Bully can't prove DS was threatening him.
    The principle did take DS aside in her office to hear what he had to say. Poor guy, DS told her that if he were in her shoes, he wouldn't bother talking to bully, because he doesn't want to get picked on. ( BTW can we get shorthand for bully? DB, maybe?.. but the D is definitly NOT for darling? ) Our big meeting with principal, teacher, counselor is on the 18th, so I am hoping to see what was done about this then. I am planning on addressing it under the "causes for DS's anxiety" file and see where I get.

Sometimes bullies can be befriended. Many are lonely or dealing with other issues. It is part of the bag of tricks.

X
    X
    I read an article last year about how important it is to empower the child that is bullied and highlighted the book Bullies to Buddies by Izzy Kalman. Disclaimer: I haven't read it yet but the magazine blurb was intriguing.

I go into Mama-Bear mode when I feel my children are picked on for whatever reason and while my approach works in the younger grades I know it won't be advantageous as my children get older. I am always on the look out for other ways to teach and encourage them to take care of it on their own. I am a very non-confrontational person when it comes to myself. I suspect I am that way because I never learned how to resolve conflict on my own.

T
    T
    Well Shari I am off to speak to the teacher about teasing!!!
    UGH always something!!!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs