Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 138 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Don't rule out private schools necessarily, not even for financial reasons. Many have financial aid. I'm with you in that I'm not willing to pay college tuition for my 7yo to go to elementary school, but I think it's worth it to keep an open mind about what's available. At least at the beginning.

Kriston
    I agree because school is called gifted doesn't mean it's good fit for every gifted child. HG+ kids may have harder time to find a good fit than MG.

Davidson Academy of Nevada for MS and HS for PG should be on the list.

Wren, what happened to Hunter? I thought that was your #1 choice.

LMom
    S
    S
    Well DS is only 4 1/2, starting school in the fall. We are doing testing right now...I suspect that he is somewhere in the highly to profoundly gifted range. We currently live in upstate NY. DS is very gifted in Math, as well as verbally and with reading. I can't tell which is more a gift for him because they are both quite high in my estimation. He is drawn to Math, but also to word play and games (ie: wheel of fortunte, word scrambles, etc.). We are planning to go with a public school...although I don't know what the psychologist is going to recommend since we haven't finished testing or gotten results back yet. I am just not sure what to do if the school district is unable to accomodate him and meet his needs. I do know that schools have financial aid, but when I have called in the past it is still only up to about 25%, and the fact of the matter is that technically we pobably wouldn't even qualify. We don't make tons, but there are people making a lot less. I would assume they would say that we could afford it if we moved to a smaller home, sold our cars, etc.

I know of a few schools that we have looked at in the Los Angees area. Public schools, LAUSD has a highly gifted program. Thier are one or two elementary schools that have a HG+ group within the school. They have to test above 145 to get in. They also have a middle school with a group of HG+ and a part of a High School (North Hollywood High).
    In regards to private, In orange county they have Pegasus Elementry. It is like a gate school, at least thats the way we saw it. Thier is also The Mirman School in Los Angels for HG kids (145 SBLM or 138WISC/WIPPSI to get in). Our DS6 goes to this school. It's been a great fit for us, but may not work for all. Thier is no one school that can meet everyone's needs. For us Mirman has been a good fit, it has provoided a peer group. The school is very good at pushing personal responsibility, and natural consequences for actions. Other none gifted high schools in the area that seem good are Whitney HS in Cerritos, Taft in Fullerton, and a few others that I can't think of right now. With Private HS, thier is Harvard/Westlake, an amazing school but very expensive.
    Note many private schools offer financial assistance, even if you have a moderate income.

Last edited by Edwin; 03/04/09 10:04 AM.
    E
    E
    Wren -

Yes! That is why I posted the info from Speyer's website. Like so many other schools, they sound good in their brochures or look promising on the tour, and then what they deliver on once you enroll does not truly serve the needs of the child. sigh

On an up note, neat that your daughter has clear preferences.

My tiny little Public School is the best school!! JMO

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    H
    H
    BWBShari, How far are you from ABQ? My sis lives there and I have a DS6 like you have. Maybe we need to relocate? Hmmm...

This one sounds pretty good! Video to the right of the screen. It's about 1.5 hours from us. A tad far...

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=540964

H
    H
    I've heard a lot of good things about this one St Pauli girl. Unfortunately for us it is also 1-1/2 hours. So that would make you about 3 hours away from us. LOL

I forgot to mention in my post that the link and video are about The Lighthouse Program in Spring Lake Park, MN (twin cities suburb). They have taken away grade designations and let the kids work at their own level. The video shows a pretty interesting classroom, where every kid has a computer workstation and is allowed to move about freely.

(I believe you're right about the distance, hkc, since i have inside info that you're in the opposite direction!)

OK - DOK here. Check this out:

Originally Posted by Lighthouse Program
    How will the different age groups� needs be met within the Lighthouse Program?
    Lighthouse Program students� learning needs will be met by creating a differentiated classroom. Differentiated learning embraces content, management, instruction and assessment. It means that at times, some students will be working independently and at other times they will be engaged in guided learning. They will work alone and together. Groupings will be determined by interest, not necessarily age. Students will work at learning stations, on task assignments, on collaborative investigations and other research options. They will engage in lecture, Socratic dialogue, learning circles, and creative production. Lighthouse program students may engage in concurrent enrollment with the high school, enrolling in specific coursework to meet credit requirements or to gain the necessary knowledge for success in further Lighthouse Program investigations. Differentiated instruction responds to the nature of the Lighthouse Program student. One size fits few.

http://www.springlakeparkschools.org/schools/la/la_lighthouse_faqs.asp

Last edited by st pauli girl; 03/07/09 08:01 AM.
    Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM