Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    F
    fangcyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    DS7 in 1st grade is in a public charter school. He just got tested WISC IV with a GAI of 146. We are going to do an achievement test in April. His current school may or may not work out for next year so we are looking around.

DS has about 6/7 grade reading level, math at least around 3rd grade. The public school in our area is supposed to be very good with high API. This can be our option, but we probably need to advocate for his education. This public school does not do subject acceleration, but they have ability grouping within the same classroom. The also have a gifted coordinator who oversees the GATE program (which doesn't start until 3rd grade) and provide materials for differentiation.

How is your experience dealing with public school for HG kids?

Cindi
    X
    X
    My kids are in public school. I have been pleased with my oldest dd's education this far. She has had some awesome teacher's that have encouraged and empowered her. She is extrememly bright (she is in the gifted program) but prefers social and art activities to academics.

My 7 year old ds on the other hand, enjoys the academic pursuits first then everything else is like icing on a cake for him. The principal had been very open to meeting his academic needs but the teacher is extremely resistant. I have advocated for him but I am embarrased to admit I got lost and hesitant when I have needed to take a stand. I was looking at the big picture instead of what his needs are at this very moment.

I have always advocated for my kids in the school. But with dd it was much more one on one with the teacher's. They were open to her needs and in her instance a grade skip would have been devastating to her. When I advocate for ds it is on a much broader scale because I have to talk with the principal, gate coordinator, his current teacher, future teacher etc. I am a more effective advocate one on one than when I need to coordinate with a large group.

T
    T
    I am hearing the same w/public schools by me, they don't do subject acceleration. So then what is a kid who can read the NY Times going to do in a Kindergaten class reading Cat in the Hat etc...

Do you have a good relationship with the principal? If so, I would do most of my advocating through that office. After all, this school year is almost over and next year is a new teacher. Maybe you could speak to the principal about the possibility of having input into next years teacher?

My son's principal actually gave me a list of the various grade teachers available to my son for next year. I've been doing classroom observations to determine which ones would be the best fit. Also, take the time to ask the teachers how they feel about having DS in their class. Some teachers love it, some not so much.

Last edited by BWBShari; 02/25/09 12:20 PM.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    T
    T
    BWBShari, That is great advice.
    We might be in public 1st in Sept.
    Right now my DS is in Montessori.
    I never thought to ask the teachers how they would feel about having DS in their class.
    Although I might not have a choice since he would be in a gifted program and I believe they place your child, there might only be one gifted class even. We will find out in April.
    Once I find out I will make an apt to speak to the principal.

In reading tons of material regarding grade skipping there is one theme that is continious... The receiving teacher needs to be on board and in favor of having your child. Seems to me even if you're not talking about a skip, the teacher is the most important element in your child's day.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    F
    fangcyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Thanks for all your input!

I spoke to the principal in the public school because I was trying to talk to a 2nd grade teacher to see how they differentiate. He said because of the budget cut, he has no idea who is going to stay and who is going to leave. It sounds horrible!

Cindi
    T
    T
    Yep I would agree 100%.
    Last year his montessori teacher was amazing, she was a perfect fit. If she was the elementary teacher would would stay for sure. So yep no matter what the teacher is the most important factor.

T
    T
    Didn't even think how the budget cuts will affect us all.
    Something else to worry about.

We have had good luck with our school, ds just moved to a new one, I have only briefly met the principle. She is very nice. They have sort of distanced themselves from the families, at least that is the feeling I have and heard among other parents. But other than that things are good, ds8's teacher is great. Without announcing it as a plan, they have clustered the gt kids in a couple of classrooms, not to overwhelm one teacher with all of them, but not to keep them completely separate during the day. It really helps. And the same group in class A gets called at the same time to do the pull out so it's not just one lone kids wandering down the hall. At this age, that does help a lot, I think.
    The teacher is a young, dynamic person who seems gifted herself, but I am not entirely sure. She just gets stuff really quickly, and gets ds without hesitation, she 'sees' his good side. I might just cry here.

I guess ds is one of the moderately gifted kids who just blossoms in these pullouts, because that is what is happening for him. It is just so nice to watch it unfold.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM