Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 323 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    M
    I'm glad you like the look of Jane Nissen, kcab--she's been a real find for us. Some of hers I wasn't able to get through amazon, but most of them were in stock at www.bookdepository.co.uk . I find that as I run out of things I remember from childhood, I increasingly search by publisher, and have had good luck with books from Jane Nissen, NYRB Children's Collection, David Godine, Purple Horse, and Puffin Classics (ie all reprints--somehow my boys [or their mother??] are more comfortable, generally speaking, with older stories).

Happy to give you a smile, Kriston! (Returning the favour--you've made me chuckle many a time here!) I do find that my ideas have to wait to get to the front of the queue, or something...my poor old scrambled brain!

St Pauli Girl, I had another thought--the magic in this one is a bit different (and of course it's not a series--that's the hardest bit of this request, I think--I do wish some of these people had kept on going!), but it's a wonderful book, with an amazing battle at the end--Ted Hughes's "Iron Giant". That's one the lads have come back to several times over the last few years (thank goodness they're keen rereaders, or I'd be in bigger trouble than I already am!)

Happy reading!

minnie

PS I wonder about fairy tales? I'm thinking in particular of the Joseph Jacobs ones--English Fairy Tales, More English Fairy Tales, Celtic Fairy Tales, etc.--some of those (Childe Rowland, Binnorie, etc.) are very different from the Andersen ones,for instance. I remember liking these a lot when I was small.

Had another thought.... A little more towards science fiction rather than fantasy. Have you considered Piers Anthony? He has many series that aren't overly scary.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    This thread has given me lots of good ideas as well!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Piers Anthony - I really enjoyed these when I was a kid. Very fun, not too scary. I am thinking of the Xanth books.
    Very very punny!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by minniemarx
    queen of the afterthought

This must be why the message board works so well for me! IRL, by the time it all comes together in my brain, the conversation is over.

DD6's teacher (aka "the gem") has been giving her books she read as a child by Ruth Chew. These have been a hit, but may be hard to find:

Baked Beans for Breakfast (The Secret Summer)
    Wednesday Witch
    Witch's Cat

Thanks for all the what's next ideas!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets