Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    J
    jayne Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks for the support of trying to get a HS/College following on this forum.

Kriston, maybe the first thing we could do is try to get our wonderful moderator to put a separate high school/college thread?

Part of my problem is having to hunt and peck to see if something related has been posted somewhere in the past.

Just an idea!

Well, Mark did just revise all the headings recently with lots of input from all of us. The way that was chosen to deal with age-specific issues was to have the very heading under which you posted this thread: Age or Ability Specific Forums. So I think you aren't likely to get a separate heading for older kids, regardless of who campaigns or how much. Note that the younger kids--who are, indeed, discussed a lot more often--don't have their own forum heading either.

Honestly, I suspect you have trouble finding stuff about high school and college kids here because there isn't much to find. frown More people would generate more threads which would generate more to find!

Kriston
    L
    L
    Jayne,
    I haven't found any for older children, either. I am in college currently (with two kids in high school) and know a little bit about college issues (such as honors programs and major selection) from experience but not much for high school...

Is there a Middle School forum? I'd love to discuss the issues around this age group. It all becomes so complicated when their emotions start rolling.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Hi Jayne,

I have a HS sophomore and 2 middle schoolers. I have to admit that I went from full addiction to occasional perusal of this board (no, I haven't cheated and found another, but it is because my needs are now geared toward older kids issues). I second Lorel's suggestion about applying to YS because there are boards and seminars that are specifically geared toward high school/college. Also, I second the others' idea of staying here so we can develop a high school forum.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Hi Ellipses,

Many of us have middle schoolers (I have 2--one in 8th grade and one in 6th) so let's just start it. Grinity, Dottie, Ania, & many others also have middle school kids.

I have a rising freshman and a rising 7th grader.
    We just went through the course selection for HS. What a nightmare (on me, not on him).
    I believe that there is not enough people on this forum that have middle/hs age kids to make it really fly. We can exchange knowledge/ideas, but it will be a little one directional, I think.
    But we can try!

I wanted to second Grinity's reccomendation of What High Schools don't Tell You (and Other Parents don't Want You to Know ). It is written from a perspective of a parent who aspires for her kids to attend top/ivy/portfolio type colleges so you have to read it with a grain of salt, but some of the ideas the author presents in the book are extremely valuable.
    For example, I never knew that when applying for research positions towards the end of HS (and this is how you make those winning Intel/Siemens projects) candidates are being asked if they ever participated in a talent search? Who knew? Especially since the importance of participation is so downplayed by many, many schools?
    This is a book my DH is reading right now. It contains a lot of things I was already aware of - nice way for him to catch up smile

^^see what I mean? Almost twelve hours from the time I posted last and no responses smile

BTW - Jayne, you are almost done with HS! You should be focusing on college. Go and browse that collegeconfidential forum wink

We are in a rural area (as of last year) that really lacks in many items that are on college resumes. I am aware of these things due to the city from which I located.

I want to start a group for parents of college-bound students from this entire area. How can we keep track of volunteer hours? In high schools, there is usually someone who is designated for this. Does someone need to be accredited somewhere?

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Ania
    We just went through the course selection for HS. What a nightmare (on me, not on him).
    So, what did you pick? My state has SO many requirements that there aren't a lot of "choices". I have an 8th grader too and can't decide whether to make a case to ditch Honors General Science for Honors Biology (seems like the rest of the country has freshmen take Bio, which we do sophomore yr).

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM