Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 238 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    kimck #38206 02/16/09 01:18 PM
    Dottie pretty much covered it. Every schoo and every child is different. If you like the school and it sounds like you do, give them a chance to come around to your way of thinking. My son is also in a public school and they do everything they can to accomodate him.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    BWBShari #38235 02/16/09 05:25 PM
    HHmm I thought she had said 2 days in school the rest HSing. 4 days in school and 1 day off isn't a lot. A friend does school T,W,Th and homeschools M,F (the entire school is set up that way).

For some, they need to exhaust all school options before deciding to HS. For others, they just decide they want to HS and choose that option. You have to decide which camp you're in and how long you are willing to fight. It sounds like your school might listen eventually so it might be worth the fight to hang in there...or not....lol

fangcyn #38239 02/16/09 05:55 PM
    Originally Posted by fangcyn
    Good thing about it is that most teachers are GATE trained, but not sure if they can handle and understand a highly gifted child. I am starting to believe a child in GATE program is different than a child who is highly gifted. I wouldn't say the same a month ago before I discover ds's IQ score.
    Sounds like you are making excellent progress! LOG (level of giftedness) is still not well understood, even by GATE trained folks. ((applause)) I had scores in front of me and still didn't understand what they could possibly have to do with my son's misbehavior in the classroom!

BTW - I wouldn't wait for the achievement scores to come back, unless the achievement tests are tests that they school is very used to dealing with. The typical school response is, 'Well yes, it says that your child reading on a 8th grade equivalency, but we see results like this among kids his age all the time and they don't mean anything.

First ask the school what tests would mean something to them, and then choose the test. A simple '2nd grade - Math scope and sequence list' might be more helpful. too bad there isn't such thing as a 'final exam' for 3rd graders, but that's what you want, more or less. The longer you delay, the longer it will take - so start making a request (in hard copy writing)for a meeting to determine what kind of placement you think would be appropriate tommorow. Then sit quietly and observe various classrooms and grades. Observe at the Charter school as well. Observe - Observe - Observe! It may take some trial and error, but soon you will get to know what kind of teacher your child likes. My extroverted DS12 needed a carismatic leader in the classroom who could be a clear 'pack leader' and yet showed him a lot of approval. It's probably different for your son, but you will get to know what it takes after a while.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing